Chapter 34: He may be crazy, but he's my crazy

Chapter 34:

He may be crazy, but he's my crazy

With the assurance that I have every right to explore Erebor, I follow Bilbo and Balin farther into the Mountain and into a tunnel leading to what I assume is the treasure hoard of Thror. Though fear is ever-present in Bilbo's eyes, the look of determination and bravery on his face puts my heart at ease that the hobbit will survive this tremendous ordeal. I have faith, as do the dwarves, that Bilbo will find the Arkenstone, with or without waking Smaug. A part of me, I have to admit, hopes the hobbit is unable to retrieve the jewel of Erebor, for the fear of the dragon sickness pulls at my heart.

"You want me to find a jewel?" Bilbo asks, confused as to why he is here for the sole reason of a treasure hunt. I nod my head at the hobbit, leaning back on the cold stone wall, next to Bilbo. Grabbing his hand, I hope to give him comfort that I will always be there for him in times of need.

"A large white jewel, yes," Balin replies. I snort, in a unlady-like manner, at the sheer number of white jewels probably resting within the heart of the Mountain. It appears Bilbo has the same thought.

"That's it? Only, I imagine there's quite a few down there," he says. I chuckle at his sarcasm, taking great joy at the presence of my sassy friend. Great minds think, and act, alike, it would seem.

"There is only one Arkenstone. You'll know it when you see it," the old dwarf replies. From the stories and discussions of this jewel, fear crawls in my heart: it is never a good sign when a stone holds that much mystical power over a race and individual. I can already find myself hating this "Arkenstone."

"Alright," Bilbo replies just as Balin paces back to the mouth of the tunnel in which we now stand. However, the old and wise dwarf turns back around, halting in his steps to return his gaze upon the hobbit. Worry now masks his usually calm demeanor as he looks back at the hobbit that has climbed his way into all of our hearts.

"In truth, lad, I do not know what you will find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to, there's no dishonor in turning back," Balin says, as if he has any right to allow such a thing. Being so close to Thorin, I know that the dwarf king will never allow Bilbo to turn his back on his responsibility, no matter how much we all adore the hobbit.

"No, Balin, I promised I would do this, and I think I must try," Bilbo replies with no forethought, illustrating the courage within him that has grown throughout the journey. When we started the quest, Bilbo was merely fearful of a band of dwarves eating in his abode; now, the hobbit is willingly facing the dragon who slaughtered thousands and took the mightiest kingdom in Middle Earth. Even I would be scared to be put in such a position.

"It never ceases to amaze me," Balin says, chuckling at the hobbit's bravery.

"What's that?" the hobbit responds.

"The courage of Hobbits. Go now with as much luck as you can muster,'" Balin replies as if he has met a multitude of these hole-dwellers. And yet, I know that this race will continue to prove itself and save the masses in the coming century. Call it instincts, but I will refer to it as faith in the hobbit race, the hidden jewel of Middle Earth.

Balin returns to his path, out of the tunnel, before stopping once again near the rest of the awaiting company.

"Oh, and Bilbo...if there is, in fact, a live dragon down there, don't waken it," Balin reminds him, humorously. I cannot help but chuckle at the common sense that Balin felt the need to say outloud. Though Bilbo's face reflects worry, I know he will be fine down in the throne room, whether or not Smaug lives. Before Bilbo can go, I grab his shoulder and turn him about to face me.