Chapter 17: Let's play the question game

Part 2

Chapter 17:

Let's play the question game

The path down the Carrock is treacherous to the able-bodied, nonetheless, the weakened Thorin. The chiseled-away steps slope at an angle, almost ensuring a tumble down the mountain. A thick layer of gravel and sand coats the stone, adding to their slipperiness. In addition, the steps are surely made for gigantic people, not dwarves: each step reaches up to their hips, for Durin's sake!

And thus, our trek is slow. After Thorin falls for a third time, my patience gets the best of me and I take the situation into my own hands. Launching myself into the air, my talon grasp the shoulders of my dwarf king. With the extra weight, I hastily fly him to the bottom of the Carrock before gently placing him onto the ground.

He, as to be expected, is unhappy with my actions for he believes he is capable of all things. Nevertheless, he make no comment and looks to be grateful for my help.

Knowing it is unsafe to leave Thorin alone at the base of the mountain since he has an unhealthy talent of attracting trouble, I return to my dwarf form. My body falls down beside his, leaning up against an oak tree. I lean into his uninjured side and rest my head on his shoulder. My eyes shutter closed, happy for the momentary rest after a long two days.

Thorin shuffles closer to me, grabbing my hand in his warm ones. He releases a contented sigh as we sit in the shade on a warm summer day. I am a little warm, with the weather and his fur coat pressed against me, but I say nothing as I am afraid to lose his contact. It is a few minutes later that I break the silence, opening my eyes to address Thorin's injuries.

"We need to check your wounds," I tell him. He looks about ready to disagree, so I send him a pleading glance. Thorin releases a sigh, and my hand, before nodding at me in agreement.

I help him take off his fur coat, armor and weapons. Prodding his stomach to inspect his injuries, I recognize the need for him to remove his tunic as well. I tug his tunic up and over his head, revealing a variety of injuries and scars that mark up his torso. His torso is not as big as the clothes make him seen: his muscles are toned, but not bulky. Realizing that I have been staring at his chest for too long, I look up to Thorin who sends me a knowing wink.

"Cheeky bastard," I mumble, though Thorin is able to hear it. He laughs at me, his chest visibly moving as he does such. My cheeks flare up at the sight, so I make to gathering cloth and herbs.

It takes around a half-hour to dress and stitch his wounds, most of my job being done by Gandalf. By this time, it is approaching sunset and the company is still descending the mountain. Finalizing the cotton wraps, I look up to see Thorin watching my actions with his predator-like eyes. Our eyes meet and hold each other's company for a matter of minutes.

Ever so slowly, Thorin leans forward from his oaken back-rest and I lean towards him. His eyes are bursting with color, overcome with love and lust. I am sure that my eyes hold the same, for he is still shirtless.

Our noses nuzzle one another and I feel his breath flow across my lips. My eyes fall closed as his lips reach out to mine. His lips brush mine gently before succumbing to desire and forcefully pressing themselves against my lips. As his lips graze over mine, his hands come to rest on my hips, pulling me forward and onto his lap. One of my hands rests on his bare chest while the other plays with the braids in his hair. I can feel his full chest against my own as he shuffles closer and the kiss becomes more passionate. His tongue prods mine and I succumb to his wish, giving him access to my mouth. My second hand flutters across his chest and bandages before pulling his head, by his hair, closer to mine. He groans into my touch, pulling away from my mouth, as he kisses his way down my neck, leaving bruises in the process. Though he cannot see me, I smile at him, fully in bliss. I bite his ear, which causes him to release his hold on my neck and our mouths come together once again.