but in the end we'll kill them all

I looked up to the man I love and smiled. For once I was sure of my decisions although there were still demons hunting me every night. But I had decided that it was time for me to live.
Niklaus and Elijah were still on bad terms and tension was hanging sickly sweet in the air but other than that our life's were simple, yet almost human. Genevieve was trying to earn our trust again but there was no way we would trust her ever again. Niklaus opened his eyes and ripped me out of my thoughts. "Is there a reason beside my good looks that you're staring at me, love?" He asked with a grin. I shook my head and laughed as he placed a small kiss on my cheek. "So. What are we doing now?" Niklaus asked more serious now. I raised an eyebrow. "About what?" I got up and started going through my clothes. "The witches. They tried to trick us and they are planning something. I wanna know what it is." He said stating the obvious. I shrugged as I buttoned up my blouse. "Well, why don't you just ask them?" Niklaus jumped out of bed and walked over to me. "Because they will lie to my face." He explained with a small laugh but I kept a straight face. "Genevieve wont." For a second he looked unsure but finally he decided to believe me. "Fine." He gave in and started getting dressed himself. "And what will you do today?" I shrugged. "Rebekah is gone and Marcel executed... I'll probably spent time with Hayley and Elijah." When I mentioned his brother's name he flinched. "Nik, it's time to overcome this." "How? He is in love with you; my wife!" Klaus exclaimed angry as I tried to maintain calm. "This was just some weird little game from the witches. Nothing more, nothing less." I said although I knew that wasn't completely true. Elijah was in love with me somehow although he had feelings for Hayley and despite Niklaus being his brother. It tore me apart to know that the things Elijah has done for me where because of his deep love and that the short kiss we shared months ago meant so much more to him than it meant to me. The night we made out returned in short flashbacks and I had to think of Katherine. She loved both brothers-- but I wasn't her. I shook my head and looked at Nik who was drinking some blood. "Have you talked to him about it?" I saw concern flickering in his eyes. "No, not really. I feel like some distance is what we really need with that right now." "Then why won't he leave town for a bit?" I rolled my eyes. "Because he wants to be there for his family." I explained. "Hah, which family? The sister who chose to live without us? The mother of my child he betrayed and hurt? The brother that lost all of his trust in their bond? Or the woman he can't even look at because he kissed her? Are you really going to call this family?" Niklaus asked and looked at me. "Yeah . Because you've done worse before and you still called yourselves a family. Because your bond is deeper then you want it to be right now and this won't just go away." I exclaimed and walked out of the door.

*******************************

I sat in the living room and read my favourite selection of poems when I heard Elijah approaching me. Since Nik's threat we haven't been alone in the same room and the tension that was already present in every inch of the house doubled up. "Where is Klaus?" I looked up and into his brown eyes. "He's being paranoid and tries to find out what the witches are up to." I said quietly and shifted uncomfortable in my seed until I decided to get up. "Have you talked to Hayley?" I wasn't sure if this was the right question in this situation but the question had been burning on my tongue for a while now. "Yes." Elijah's face was full of sorrow. "And what did she say?" "She feels used. Like I just lured her here with my interest to make her stay with the child." Ouch, I thought but didn't say anything. Instead I poured both of us a drink. "You know, Damon has done horrible things to Elena and her friends but she forgave him still." Elijah raised an eyebrow. "You really try to compare their epic love with mine and Hayley's feelings for each other?" I nodded. "Maybe that's where you're wrong." He said and starred out of the window. "No I am not. You're still confused 'cause the witches messed with your head. Maybe you should talk about that with someone." Eiljah nodded slowly and stopped watching the wind moving the trees outside. "The problem is, Penelope that you're the one I always talked to but I destroyed our relationship by letting out my demons." When he looked at me I saw the pain in his eyes. "No you didn't. We can fix this. We just need some time." I whispered but the pain wasn't leaving his eyes. His lips were pressed into a fine line as he walked slowly out of the room.
I looked down and realized that I was running out of options.