chapter 2

I could hear people talking around me I tried to open my eyes but I was too weak to do anything yet. I could feel different tubes in my wrists and i heard a heart rate monitor beeping in the background. I guess i'm at a hospital? after a few minutes of actually being awake, I try to open my eyes again and finally it worked. I was right. I am at a hospital. I tried to sit up to look around but a sharp pain in my back stopped me from doing so

"ow, son of a bitch!" I yell.

"MILLIE!"

I look to my left and before I had the chance to say anything, I was attacked by steph

"jesus steph, do you want to kill me?" I say to her playfully. she hops off of me and stands next to the hospital bed. "how long have I been asleep?

"uhh, about 5 days" she replied

"wow..."

"yeah.. but now you should be able to go... home..." steph said quietly

"what's wrong. you sounded upset when you said that..." I asked curiously

"I - we will tell you when you get home. but, millie, what happened to you? do you remember?"

shit, what am I going to tell her, if I tell her i was attacked by the jeff the killer, she will most likely think im joking....

"I, uh, don't remember much. I can only remember someone went in my house and that was it. its all a blur after that." I lied

"oh, that's okay, come on, lets take you home..."

steph calls in a nurse to get the tubes out of my wrists and to re bandage the stab wound. the nurse came in and did those things and told me I was free to go home. steph helps me get out of the bed and I lean on her shoulder and she holds me to support my weight as we walk out the front sliding doors. we walk to stephs moms car. she smiles at me and helps me get in the back seat. I sit up trying not to put any preasure on my wound.

"oh, I have something for you millie" steph says as she digs around in her bag. "here ya go" she throws me my ipod and my headphones. I smile at her and put my headphones on my head. I would rather have headphones than earphones. the bass on headphones is a lot thicker than earphones. i rest my head on the window and watch the world go by whilst listening to "the last song im waisting on you" by evanescence and slowly, I start drifting asleep. I felt someone nudging me which woke me from my slumber. I open my groggy eyes and see police officers talking to my auntie, who was in tears. shit... somethings happened. I open the car door and rush over to my auntie.

"what the hell is going on?" I ask my auntie

"millie... its your parents and your brother..."

my heart sank. my eyes stated to get glassy. please don't be dead.

"w-whats happened to them?" I asked weakly

"your parents, they were murdered in a dodgy apartment near south Carolina. and your brothers cruise ship sunk for reasons unknown at this point. but your brother and his girlfriend drowned."

"no... it cant be..."

in a blend of anger and sadness, I ran to my room and locked the door. I collapsed on my bed and proceeded to soak my pillow in tears. jeff did this... I know he did...

knock, knock, knock.

I lift my head up from my pillow and stare at the door.

"yes? who is it?"

"millie? its steph. can I come in?"

  I sit up and wipe the forming tears away with my wrist. "yeah sure" I stand up and unlock my door. steph came in and gave me a hug.

"I'm so sorry millie... remember, i'm here for you, okay " she whispers

"thanks steph" I croak

"well, I have to go, call me later okay, if you feel up to it that is." she smiled and left, closing the door behind her. I sighed and went into my bathroom. I looked at my reflection in the mirror. wow, I look like a gothic clown. my makeup was smeared everywhere. I washed my face with a face washer and re applied my eye liner and mascara then I brushed my long brownish black hair. i walk back out into my room and my auntie barged in at the same time.

"millie I'm going home. you will be home alone for a few days until i find a caretaker for you. but  it could also take a few weeks. Ive left 500 dollars on the table for you to get food. bye."

i saw her exit the house and drive out of the driveway. the police were gone as well. well i'm home. alone. great.

well... fuck you then. i hate my auntie so im sorta glad she didn't stay with me but still, you leave a girl who was just attacked by a madman and, who has just lost her family, alone in her home for probably a few weeks! bitch. i walk up the stairs to my room and check my phone for any messages; 15 missed calls. great. 7:45pm, may as well go for my jog and get my mind off things. i jog downstairs and grab my ipod off of the kitchen counter. i stop to look out the window. nothing. i will never be able to look at that window ever again. i shiver and and close the blinds then walk out the front door. i start the playlist labled "heavy rock evanescence songs" and click play. i start jogging but were, im not sure. i slow down at a childs park and sit on a small wooden park bench for a break. i stare out into the woods and wonder what could be hiding in there.

bbbzzzzz

i feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. i get it out and check.

22 new messages. confused, i tapped to open them. 

i froze, horrified.

1:GO TO SLEEP

2:GO TO SLEEP

3:GO TO SLEEP

4: GO TO SLEEP

5: GO TO SLEEP

6:GO TO SLEEP

7:GO TO SLEEP

8:GO TO SLEEP

9:GO TO SLEEP

10: GO TO SLEEP

11:GO TO SLEEP

12:GO TO SLEEP

13:GO TO SLEEP

14:GO TO SLEEP

15:GO TO SLEEP

16:GO TO SLEEP

17:GO TO SLEEP

18:GO TO SLEEP

19:GO TO SLEEP

20:GO TO SLEEP

21:GO TO SLEEP

22:GO TO SLEEP

i dropped my phone and suddenly got the dreaded feeling of being watched. i heard a sound on the pavement in front of me. my phone.  i picked it up shakily.

1 new message. i gulped and opened the message...

1: BEHIND YOU.