Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

"Nayda, what are you doing here?"

I looked at my best friend, his eyes following me as I paced the border of our lands.

"You will not believe what my mother just sprung on me! Matrimony or war? Matrimony! I'm not ready for marriage! You don't understand! She just threw this on me; I don't even understand!"

"Nay calm down."

I stopped and looked at Eli.

"I can't. My parents are basically making me decide the future of my kingdom."

He stared at me for a long moment before clearing his throat. A small smile was tugging at the corners of his lips and I glared at him. Suddenly, he leaned back, letting out his bell-ringing laugh. Birds flew from the trees around us as he clutched his stomach, as if he ran out of breath from laughing.

"Stop being so dramatic Elijah, this is serious!"

"Nayda you're going to have to make this decision whether you want to or not. It's part of being a princess."

I sighed, sitting on the forest floor. He fell silent and I began digging into the snow for the grass below it. I heard him move and a pale hand entered my sight, closing around my tan one. His ice cold skin made me shiver internally and I looked up at him.

He was sitting across from me, watching me.

"There's this legend." He whispered.

My eyes widened when he spoke those words. Every time he said those three words, I knew he was about to tell me something that his father had told him about the past. Everything I knew about my parents, I learned from Eli and no one else. Somehow, his father knew my parents, despite our huge separation.

"Way before either one of us were born, there was this group of people who hunted people like us. Witches, wizards, werewolves, angels, demons, vampires - all of us. They had this twisted plan of some kind that no one really knew about. People say they were studying us, like we were an alchemy project."

I stared at Eli whose hand was still on mine.

"They hunted for the most powerful of each being and kept them in a cell underground. They say that, by the time they had gotten everyone they needed; only a witch remained. While trying to get the witch, a werewolf and wizard escaped and fled to the witch's kingdom, which is where the wizard lived. Back then, there were laws which forbid werewolves and witches from ever being together. They couldn't even be on each other's land."

I stared at Eli in shock, wanting to speak and tell him that there was no way that his story could be true. Werewolves and wizards have been sharing land for as long as I can remember. There has never been a single feud in our kingdom between a werewolf and a witch or wizard. We all get along.

"The witch saved the werewolf, who nearly died from poisonous darts while being chased by these hunters. She hid him from her family and nursed him back to health until these same hunters attacked her kingdom causing them to all go into hiding."

He stopped there, glancing around him and sniffing the air.

"Eli please continue. What happened to them?"

He turned back to me, distracted probably by a deer or other forest animal.

"Sorry, they went into hiding together but were found. They were taken by the hunters but the werewolf managed to escape, leaving her behind. He was able to get to the other creatures locked up and free all of them. They all escaped and he began to gather an army of every creature who volunteered to help. It was the first time in history that wizards and witches worked with werewolves and the first time that vampires agreed to work with werewolves."