20. Revenge

The plan worked.

It actually worked. You know, maybe I should start trusting the guys some more, because they seriously led me in the right direction. I almost laughed to myself; there was only one direction to go! Biting my lip to keep myself from laughing aloud, I kept the smile on my lips as I watched Zayn cook my breakfast. He had stayed over last night considering I couldn't stop holding him.

It was the most innocent sense of staying over, and yet it was the most meaningful. He woke up and slipped out of bed to cook me breakfast, and when I awoke to an empty bed and the smell of bacon, I almost couldn't believe that this was actually happening. I had missed him so much that it almost seemed foreign to stare at anything else but his face.

"Bon appetite," My boyfriend said, carrying two plates over to the little bar area.

When he put the plates down, I gave him a big smile and kissed him. "Why, thank you very much. It looks delicious."

He sat down beside me. "I learned everything I know from you."

Somehow, I thought I sensed a bit of malice in his words, like they were dripping with an underlying message. I shrugged it off easily, eating the food over nice conversation with Zayn. I had missed him so much more than I tried not to lead on; the fact that he was finally back and here with me seemed surreal.

I guess I only had the guys to thank, and I made a mental note to do exactly that. But for now, I just wanted to spend time with my, Lela Oswalts', boyfriend.

~*~

The next few weeks were unreal. I was starting my internship, and had an amazing support group behind it. The boys had gone back to London - all except for Zayn - and we were taking it slow. He stayed with me in the new apartment, but slept on the couch at night - hence the whole take it slow thing. Basically, my life was going great.

One afternoon when I was on break from the internship, I went to the coffee shop to grab something that could rejuvenate me after the long morning. I had a twenty minute break, so I thought it would be long enough to call Zayn and see if he wanted to come meet me.

"Hey," He said, his tone almost hushed. "What's up?"

"I'm on break, and I was wondering if you wanted to grab a coffee or something to eat."

He hesitated. "Actually, I can't. I'm at the store for some toilet paper."

Too bad. Calmly, I replied, "Alright, that's fine. I'll see you when I get home then!"

"I love you."

I smiled. "I love you, too."

Hanging up, I walked into the coffee shop and ordered a caramel macchiato and found a seat. In front of me, there were tables with couples and some with workers, but two tables in front of me was a guy with a black hoodie pulled up to cover his head. For a second, I was almost concerned, but then I realized that there were all kind of weirdoes here in America. I laughed to myself.

But then, I realized the weirdo was talking, and unconsciously listened to him. "Louis?"

I stopped. But then, I shook my head. There were plenty of people named Louis in the world - I had to stop being so worried. Everything was okay between us now.

"Can you put Niall on the phone?"

That was what ruined it for me.