Chapter Fourteen: Q.V.B

Tests are over and I'm on holiday! Plenty of time to write now. ;)

Hope you all enjoy!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Chapter Fourteen

Q.V.B

Melody's P.O.V

I still could not get over the fact that not only had Robyn found a pair of high heels, she had decided to wear them. I watched her in disbelief as she paced back and forth in her dark red stilettos. Not a stumble nor a wobble tainted her stride as she continued to pace. Whatever it was that possessed this woman. It scared me more than the infected people.

Okay that was an over exaggeration, but still. Who in their right mind would willingly wear high heels at a time like this? God knows what might happen! I shook my head. Whatever. If she falls and gets eaten, it's not my problem. Carl had warned her. Alan had warned and I had consistently warned her. Did she listen?

No.

Style was clearly far more important to her. I pursed my lips and shook my head again. It was her choice. Her choice. Her stupid, dumb, idiotic choice. If only the circumstance weren't so dire, I would have laughed.

My thoughts wandered back to Zoey. Robyn refused to tell us anything more than 'she was bit'. I still couldn't believe it though. She was fine, and then she wasn't. Any and all doubt left my mind. If we got bitten, it's all over. I didn't believe it before, I didn't want to believe it. But now I had to believe it. How could I not? The evidence was right there in front of me. And yet still I fought to believe it. Everything that has happened just seems so unreal. More like a horror story than reality.

I refused to dwell on any of that. I had to move on. I had to keep fighting. I shook the thoughts away and instead focused my attention back on Robyn. She was, as she put it 'mentally preparing' herself for what was to come. No one could prepare for what was to come. Outside was the devils playground, and we were nothing but his toys. Anything could happen.

Carl walked into the room, a small silver key in his grasp. He stuck the key into his black jeans and wiped his hands on his clean white shirt. After staring at Robyn for a moment he walked over to me. Leaning against the armrest he pulled out a small pistol and thrust it in front of me.

"This is against all the rules." He sighed, reluctance tainting his tone. "But considering the circumstances I want you to hold onto this, just in case." I looked at the gun, then up at him. His eyes were hard and serious as he held the gun out to me.

"What? Why me?" I stuttered.

"Because you're the only one here with experience. You used it before, I know you did. And if you didn't know how to shoot we wouldn't be here right now. So take it." Hesitantly I took the gun from his grasp. Weighing the heavy tool in my hands I stood up and tucked it into my back pocket.

"The safety's off so be careful. And you only have seven bullets so use them wisely. Get whatever you need and meet me in the car park, we're leaving soon." Nodding my head in acknowledgement I stepped past him and walked out of the room. Taking extra precaution to avoid looking at Zoeys' still body, I walked around her and out into the small car park.

Alan was leaning against the door of a car, gazing off into the distance. I walked down the three small steps and skipped over to him.

"Ready to hit the road again?" I asked, a small smile at my lips. He tore his gaze away and looked down at me, his frown brutally contrasting my smile.

"You know this is a bad idea." He said, his frown growing deeper with every word.

"Seriously? You're still upset about coming?" I asked, sighing in exasperation.