Chapter 53

SORRY FOR THE DELAY! I moved to Australia and their internet works different than what I'm used to, so I'm just now able to post.

Song of the Chapter: Lay Me Down by Matt Corby (I had this song planned for this chapter for a long time and it's only fitting that Matt is an Aussie hahahahaha. COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT

RILEYS POV

"Kiwi."

"A nice golden biscuit."

"Hmmm" I narrowed my eyes in concentration. "Spinach."

Harry's lips twitched into a small before he remembered to regain his composure. His expression hardened again as our staring contest reached a new level of intensity.

After getting home from dinner with his family, which actually ended up going a lot better than I thought, the both of us ended up sitting on his bed across from each other, naming foods the pigment the other's eyes reminded us of. How we found ourselves playing this game was beyond me. I blame it on the moderate amount of wine we consumed at the restaurant.

Turned out Harry was more nervous about me meeting his family than he led on, and in an effort to calm his nerves during dinner, he continually had our wine glasses filled. As much as I didn't like the idea of him turning to alcohol for comfort again, it ended up helping the both of us a lot. Anne and Gemma even had a few glasses over the course of the evening. Robin didn't because he was driving.

Harry and I weren't drunk by the end of the meal, but we were all definitely a bit giddy. The light air and happy vibe from dinner stuck with us until we got back to Harry's and hadn't diminished one bit.

So far, this odd game of ours had been going on for about two minutes now, both of us trying to keep up our intimidating facade. I didn't know what we were playing for, but I knew that whoever ran out of a food to name first would lose. And knowing Harry and his weird games, I didn't want to lose. 

We were both equally competitive.

"Honey" Harry said hauntingly as he quirked up his eyebrow. It took everything in me to not laugh at how seriously he was taking this game.

"Pickles" I retorted, hoping to get him to laugh.

"Pickles?" His lips curled up into a small, amused smile as he squinted his eyes at me stern fully. "Really?"

"Yes, really" I insisted.

"Peanut butter."

"Lime flavored sorbet."

"Carmel" he shot back instantly.

I pressed my lips together as I ran my fingers through my hair and tried to think of another food. I'd used all of the easy and most obvious green-colored foods first and now my mind was drawing a blank.

"I'm waiting..." he sing-songed playfully.

"An unripened banana?" I answered, unsure of whether he'd accept my choice.

"Seriously?" he laughed lightly. I shrugged my shoulders as I waited for him to take his turn. "Fine. Um... wood."

"Wood?" I chuckled. "Wood is not a food."

"Tell that to a beaver" he defended. His eyes fixed on mine as the corner of his mouth started to form a smirk.

I couldn't help but crack up, throwing my head back and closing my eyes at how concerned he was over a beaver's diet, and how set he was on trying to beat me at this ridiculous game.

"Beaver's don't eat wood, Harry."

"Yes, they do" he challenged.

"No, they really don't" I answered through laughs. I opened my eyes to see him sticking his two front teeth out, his eyes wide and crazy, like he was trying to imitate the animal. He didn't though. His funny face only made me laugh harder. "Beavers chew and gnaw on wood. They don't eat it."