Chapter 4- Chilly Waters

"Perhaps we become accustomed to our grief and, as it becomes increasingly familiar, increasingly part of the emotional landscape, it becomes a dullness. But there is no closure, no forgetting. One mourns those one has loved who have died until one joins them. It happens soon enough." ― David Rieff

My eyelids are heavy and there are dark circles surrounding them from lack of sleep. I have been up since dawn. I got up and couldn't get back to bed. I have been on the internet looking for something to solve my Devil problem. Obviously, I checked the bible first, but nothing in it could help me with my situation. I have only found things on demons. I guess if I survive I could share my experiences with the internet, but unfortunately that's unlikely, since I'm smoking my cigarettes so fast. I already finished  a whole pack this morning.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to see who it is. "Danny, you didn't eat anything yesterday. I fixed you a sandwich. I'm worried about you. Just know you can always talk to me, okay?" She says and hands me a sandwich. "Okay, Mom." I say as she walks out. I look at my sandwich dispassionately. I wasn't hungry. I just wanted to melt into the floor and disappear. "Danny! What's got you down?" Satan says from behind me. "You know." I say bluntly. "Why not have a smoke to solve your problems." He says and offers me one from my pack. I angrily grab one and light it.

"Pop tart is mad isn't he." Satan teases in a baby voice. My eye twitches and I grab another and smoke two in my mouth. "I don't care. I really don't." I say and fall back on my bed. "Pop tart. Pop tart. Come on smile. Live a little." He says and ruffles my hair. I sink farther into my bed. "Don't cry, little french fry. Come on cheer up. I brought Death with me!" Satan says and point behind my curtains. "How do you guys even get in here. Don't you have to have permission to get into a house or something?" I say.

"Permission is for cliché teenybopper vampires." Death steps out from the curtain. What she is wearing is not what I'd think Death would ever wear. Instead of wearing a cloak like she did yesterday, she is wearing a black v-neck with a flannel shirt over it and leggings. "I'm off duty for the day. Stop staring, Danny." She says and flicks me on the forehead. "Let's go to the beach." Death says with enthusiasm. "Hell yes!" Satan exclaims.

"Danny, you in?" They say in unison. I nod and grab both of their wrists. They click something on their watches and we are transported onto a rock. I look down and my stomach turns. "Want to jump?" Satan says and nudges me with the toe of his shoe. "I don't even want to swim." I say and he smiles venomously. "I don't really care." He says and pushes me down. The wind picks up under me and I start breathing faster. I'm going to die. I am going to break my neck and bleed out.

I look down and see the water coming closer to me. I gulp and brace myself. "I hate Satan!" I yell before hitting the water. My back stings from the shock and the water is freezing. I gasp for air after a salty wave crashes against my skin. I flail and twist to try to move toward a rock. I reach the rock and grip the top and pull myself up onto it. I look up and can't see them. Did they leave me? I hear a hard crash and look in front of me. Death and Satan swim to me. Their hair is clinging to their face and they've changed into swimwear.

"Weak sauce." Death says and splashes me. Satan goes under the water and so does Death. They both come up, but know Death is sitting on Satan's shoulders. "Fight me." Death says and makes a claw with her hand. I throw a pebble at Satan's eye and he gives me the evil eye with the other. Death starts making cat noises and he throws her off. I look at the rock I'm on and I pick up a piece of sea glass. "Look at this." I say and hold up the piece. "Nice." Satan says and snaps his fingers. A beach ball appears and he serves it to Death. She hits it back and he throws it to me. The ball hits me smack in the face and bounces back to him.

"Mash potato! I told you I could do it." Satan says and Death hands him a twenty dollar bill. I give them a questioning look and they don't say anything. "Obviously, you're not having fun. I'll make it my job to get you to laugh tomorrow, but today we're going back." Satan says. I jump back in and grab onto them. I land on my desk and Satan chuckles. I peel myself off and get to my feet. I offer them a cigarette and they take them. I grab mine and light it up.

They wave and hop out my window. I pull my window down and lock it. I change into dry clothes and throw my soggy outfit into the laundry room. I change into some new clothes and crawl into my bed and pull the covers above my head.
_________________________________________________________
Hey.
Thanks for reading. Please vote and comment. Have a great day. Thanks for waiting for this update. It was probably killing you.
- A. F. Grace