Twenty-Six

One month later...

"General Skywalker, are we really going to-" Anakin turned around and smiled reckless at his clone captain. "You bet," he replied in a hushed voice as he scanned the cluster of droids ahead.

The captain shook his head underneath his helmet. "I've got a bad feeling about this," he said to himself. Anakin turned back toward him. "Hey Rex, it's me you're talking about." Captain Rex sighed. "That's exactly why I have a bad feeling," he remarked humorously.

Anakin gave the signal and leapt into action. Igniting his electric blue lightsaber, he sprinted toward the group of droids. The 501st legion was right behind him, ready for a fight.

Although out numbered, the clones took out the surprised droids with ease. Crossfire from all directions made Anakin's adrenaline kick in. All this excitement and they hadn't even had breakfast.

But that was how the war worked. Slashing his blade through multiple droids, Anakin plowed through the squadron of Trade Federation droids. In another moment, they were nothing but heaps of scrap.

As the dust settled over the battle grounds, the 501st kept their weapons at the ready. Anakin smiled as he wiped sweat off his brow. "What'd I tell ya Rex?" he boasted. Rex chuckled as he returned his pistols to his belt. "That wasn't so bad," he admitted.

It had only been a month into the war but Anakin felt like he had been in it forever. This was his first campaign with his new regimen, now that he had been promoted to General.

Jedi General Skywalker. Now a Jedi Knight, Anakin was fighting alongside some of the most respected masters in the Order. He finally had become everything he had dreamed of since his days as a Padawan, but still...

"General, they're sending a transport to pick us up," Rex informed Anakin, "I guess we're going to Felucia." Anakin snapped from his thoughts. "You heard him boys. Let's get back to camp."

As they moved out, Anakin felt a gnawing return. It was the gnawing that he felt every night when the squad had fallen asleep and his thoughts had run out of distractions. Something always made his heart come back to her.

Padme.

He hasn't spoken her name since he left Naboo but he heard it all the time. He heard it when he stared restlessly at the stars, haunted by the thought of her. Last he had heard, she was back on Coruscant doing her part in ending the war. But for him, she was everywhere. She was in the morning, and in the evening. The days and the nights. She was always there. In his heart.

The more he tried to forget, the more he wanted to remember.

When the transport came, Anakin and the 501st hopped aboard; tired and hungry. Rex passed him a Ration Bar but Anakin handed it back. "I'm not hungry," he stated quietly. Rex shrugged as he took a bite of his own. "Hey, I hear Felucia isn't so bad. The scenery should be nice," Rex noted hopefully.

One of the clones, Fives, grunted. "Unless we run into some clankers," he said shortly. Rex shook his head. "I wouldn't be worried about clankers. This is a security mission," he explained.

Fives leaned forward. "Don't you think it's a bit much to call us in for security?" he asked. Anakin's attention turned to them. "Security?" he repeated. Rex took off his helmet and balanced it on his knee. "I didn't get details, but we'll only be there to pick up a passenger. Some senator, I think."

Anakin blinked. "Senator?" he asked hopefully. He knew the odds were unlikely he held his breath as he awaited the answer.

Rex rubbed dirt off his helmet until it was spotless. He seemed only half interested in the conversation. "A Loyalist from Pantoran." Anakin let out a disappointed breath. "Oh..."

******************************************

"Welcome to Felucia, boys," Rex said as he glaned out the window. The rest of the men stared out at the planet, unsure what to think. The fat sphere hung in space below them; a mud-brown ball with mixes of green here and there. Overall, an ugly planet from orbit.

When they arrived on the world below, it was a completely different story.

Plants of all species, shape, and color grew up from the marshy surface of Felucia. Anakin looked around at the endless forests of vast wildlife and color. It was almost like Naboo, he thought. Only more exotic.

Aside from the beautiful plant life, Felucia was also hot.

Very hot.

Anakin felt the humid air close in around him. Although he had grown up in a hot climate, humidity was only a myth to Tatooine locals who only knew of bone dry weather.

By the time they were ready to go, Anakin was miserable and sweaty. He rubbed to back of his neck as he and Rex started toward the ship. "Senator Papanoida is onboard. Looks like we're done here," he said in relief. Anakin smiled greatfully. "Not a moment too soon. What was she needed on Felucia for anyways?" he asked out of curiosity.

Rex slipped his helmet on. "The Loyalist committee was meeting here in private. Nothing interesting," he stated, dismissing the thought. Anakin stared at his boots as he walked. His thoughts were trailing behind him.

"Loyalists huh?" he said absently. Did that mean Padme was there too?

As Anakin boarded the transport, his question was answered. As the ship roared to life, Anakin looked out the open side of the ship. There she was. Padme.

And she was leaving.

"It's her Rex," he exclaimed in disbelief. Rex looked over his shoulder. "Who?" Anakin didn't answer. His full attention locked on the girl he loved as she started up the ramp to her own ship. "Padme!"

Feeling the ship rise underneath his feet, Anakin heard his chest thumping. He couldn't let his last chance slip away.

He didn't know if it was his reflexes, or his brain, or his heart that made the decision, but as the transport carrying the 501st off of Felucia reached nearly fifty meters into the air...

Anakin Skywalker jumped.

******************************************

Who wants to know what happens next???

I'm sure you're all raising your hands right now but TOO BAD! I actually haven't finished the next chapter yet so you're all just gonna have to WAIT! I really don't mean to torture you guys, but it's past midnight and I need sleep. So sorry and goodnight! Love you guys!