Twenty-Three

As the sun began to set over the city of Theed, Anakin stood in the mirror, studying himself in his Jedi robes. Jobal walked past his room and stopped short. "Well, don't you look handsome, dear!" she said with a bright smile. Anakin stared at his boots shyly. "Thank you, Mrs. Naberrie."

Jobal entered his room and looked skeptically at him. "Let me just fix your hair... Hold still," she instructed as she meticulously adjusted the way his hair was sticking up. Anakin fidgeted helplessly.

"Mom, please stop bothering Anakin!"

Padme stepped into the doorway and Anakin froze.

She was beautiful. The dress she wore was sleeveles and hung just above her knees. The black fabric hugged her waist and complemented her olive skin. She was breath-taking as she stood, fixing her long curls into a loose braid and Anakin could feel his face redden as he found himself staring at her.

Jobal held a hand to her heart. "Oh you lovely, Padme!" she gushed. Padme groaned at her mother. "Please stop, Mom," she pleaded. Jobal looked back at Anakin. "I'll just leave you two alone..." she announced as she disappeared out the door. Anakin snapped out of his trance, smiling crookedly at Padme.

"You look beautiful."

Now it was Padme's turn to blush. A wide smile spread across her face, causing Anakin to lose himself in her sparkling brown eyes.

Before Padme could say anything, Palo joined her in the doorway. He wrapped his arm around her waist and smirked. "Are we ready to go, Love?" he asked, giving her a light kiss on the cheek. Anakin stood a still as stone.

Padme glanced from Palo back at Anakin, a look of regret passed over her beautiful features. "Yes," she replied distantly. Palo led her away, leaving Anakin alone in the stillness of his room.

You're not getting your way this time Palo...

******************************************

The gala was held in courtyard of the Theed Gallery of Art. Lanterns lit the grounds with gold as the high class guests sat at clothed round tables on the patio.

It was an elegant gathering to say the least and Anakin only felt more and more out of place the longer he stood there in his humble Jedi attire.

Anakin sat down at a table with Padme, Palo, Ruwee, Jobal, Sola, Pooja, and Ryoo. All in all, it felt just like a their usual dinner, only with champagne. Sitting between Pooja and Ryoo, Anakin entertained the girls by juggling dinner rolls.

"Again again, Anakin!"

"No do another trick!"

"Okay okay." Anakin set his spoon so that the handle faced him. He carefully placed a dinner mint on the end of the spoon and launched it across the table. As the mint rolled onto the ground, the girls clapped in amazement. Padme cleared her throat and shot a glance at him, and Anakin remembered that he was at a formal gathering. He quickly put his spoon back in it's place.

"Oh let me try!" Pooja squealed as she grabbed her own spoon. Before she could be stopped, the little girl slammed her hand down on the spoon and catapulted her dinner into the air... Right into Palo's forehead.

Padme coughed on the sip of wine she was swallowing as Palo breathed in an aggravated breath. He eyed Sola. "Splendid that you brought the little juveniles with you," he remarked. Sola smiled. "Yes. They're really enjoying themselves."

Palo, being the honored guest, took up much of the attention with the guests. That was, until one of them took an interest in Anakin.

"Are you a Jedi?" a man asked him. Surprised, Anakin nodded. "Yes sir." Palo patted Anakin's back. "Ah, yes Prime Minister, this here is my good friend, Anakin Skycrawler." Anakin shrugged off Palo's hand. "It's Skywalker," he corrected bluntly. Palo rolled his eyes and turned to the Prime Minister. "Yes of course. Prime Minister, I'm so glad you could be here to-"

"What do the Jedi think of the Trade Federation's move against the Republic?" the Prime Minister asked, ignoring Palo completely. Anakin sighed inwardly. He dreaded politics and anything to do with it but then again, it was another chance to show-up his "good friend" Palo.

"Well Prime Minister, the Jedi were not permitted to investigate the Trade Federation's dealings with the Separatist Comittee. I personally think that the aggressive negations that occured on Geonosis clearly indicate the Trade Federation is to blame for the start of this war of course." The Primes Minister nodded, impressed by Anakin's lecture. Anakin glanced proudly at Palo, who was fuming beside him. "Aggressive negotiations?" the Prime Minister inquired. Anakin nodded and laughed to himself. "Well, negotiations with a lightsaber."

The Prime Minister laughed in amusement. "Oh, I never knew the Jedi had such a sense of humor! Good evening, boys," he said, milling away. Palo sneered and stalked away to speak with the other guests.

******************************************

Later in the night, Palo appeared on the small stage by the front of the patio. He smiled at the crowd of tables and cleared his throat. "I would like to thank all of you for coming to this gala to celebrate my work in the arts. It has been an honor to see my work displayed in this lovely museum," he said. Anakin wanted to fall asleep already.

But then something caught his attention. "I would also like to make a special announcement tonight..."

He isn't...

Anakin looked across the table at Padme who was listening intently to the speech. Palo smiled at the entire crowd, but somehow, Anakin knew that Palo was looking directly at him.

"I am thrilled to tell you, that I have recently become engaged to my beautiful fiance, Padme Amidala."

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN!

Cliffhanger! *evil laughter* Looks like this have taken a turn for the worse. I seriously would hate to be reading this myself because Palo is a major Nerf herder and he keeps messing with Anidala. Anyways, I can't eait to hear what you all think I this chapter. I should have more by the end of the day so see ya soon and may the Force be with you!