Three

Anakin was numb.

He slumped down against the glowing white walls of the Coruscant Medical Facility where they had been brought after the Battle of Geonosis and fought back tears.

Padme didn't remember going to Naboo. She didn't remember kissing him by the lake. She didn't remember traveling to Tatooine and Geonosis. She didn't remember that he loved her.

Or that she told him she loved him back.

The hallway spun with chaos as more doctors went in and out of Padme's room. They looked tired and stressed as after trying and failing to calm their patient down.

Anakin wished the rooms had been sound proof because he hated hearing Padme cry.

It hurt to know that she was in pain- whether physical or emotional- and he couldn't do anything to comfort her. He didn't know if he would ever be able to comfort her. It just wasn't fair.

It's all Obi-wan's fault! He wouldn't let me go help her! Anakin trembled with a combination of anger, meloncholy, and fatigue. If I had been there to... If I had gotten there sooner... If I hadn't...
The "ifs" made his head spin. If he had done something differently, maybe this wouldn't have happened. Padme would remember everything they had been through together.

Among all of the white coated doctors, a familiar face appeared down the hall. Copper whiskers and weary eyes. Anakin stood up stiffly.

"She doesn't remember us. She doesn't remember me," he told his master quietly. Obi-wan took a few steps toward his apprentice. "I know Anakin. The doctors told me. That's why I didn't want you to see her so soon," he explained. Anakin shot a glare at Obi-wan though it contained more pain than fury. "Will she ever..." his voice trailed, not wanting to finish his question. His master read him.
"It's already been three days. She hasn't shown much improvement, but it's not impossible for her to regain her memory."

Anakin looked down at his stump of an arm. He really hated how it looked. "I should have protected her. I should never have brought her to Geonosis. It was my job to keep her safe and I didn't!" he said ruefully. He looked back at Obi-wan again, his eyes feeling wet. "Why can't I protect anyone I care about?"

His master gave a thoughtful expression as he rubbed his beard. "You went to Tatooine to look for your mother, didn't you?" he confirmed. Anakin nodded without a word. He was suddenly reminded of his mother dying in his arms.

Anakin was surprised when his master set a hand on his shoulder, attempting to comfort him. Obi-wan seemed to already understand what had happened.

"I'm sorry, Anakin."

"I promised her I would come back for her."

"It wasn't your fault."

"I let her die right in front of me!"

Anakin was startled by his own outburst. He was overwhelmed with grief and wished he was still unconcious. Obi-wan had a look of sympathy written across his tired features. "I understand how that feels."

"No you-" Anakin began but caught himself in the memory of Obi-wan's old master, Qui-gon. In a battle with a Sith, Qui-gon Jinn had been killed and died in Obi-wan's own arms. Anakin wished the words hadn't escaped his mouth. Obi-wan had lost people, just like him.

"I'm sorry Master. I didn't..." he started again but Obi-wan only nodded in acceptance of his apology. A moment of silence carried on between them, as the two men were both too tired to continue the conversation any longer. Anakin hunched his shoulders as he turned toward the window again. Padme had been taken to a different room but he could still see her in his mind. Behind that glass; crying and confused.

*****************************

It was late in the evening that the doctors released Padme from the med bay.

Anakin watched his newly-attached prothstetic twitch at his command.

While he had been waiting for Padme, the doctors had fastened the crude hand onto his stump. He didn't like it at all. Each spider-like finger flickered under the light as they clenched and unclenched from a fist. The specialists hand done an incredible job at wiring the appendage to his nervous system. Anything his human hand could do was replicated by his robotic replacement. But something about the artificial skeleton that was now connected to his body made Anakin's skin crawl.

It wasn't his hand.

Just another result of my recklessness... He thought with a sigh. Obi-wan studied Anakin carefully as he tried to figure out his new robotic hand. "Be patient Anakin. You'll adjust," he assured him. Anakin kept his eyes on the metal hand as it opened up. The wiry surface of the palm was a mess of knotted silver. "It's so... unatural," he said, almost to himself.

Obi-wan opened his mouth to speak but the door opened before words could leave. Anakin's head shot up. It was the doctor.

"How is she?" Anakin asked, forgetting any greeting and skipping to what he wanted to hear. The doctor remained at ease, though Anakin could see the vexation in the man's eyes. "The Senator can be released by the Chancellor's appointed advisors of the Jedi Council. She is to be escorted back to her home planet until further notice," he informed them. Obi-wan stood up. "We are the Chancellor's advisors. How long might it take for her memory to-" The middle-aged doctor sucked in a breath as he cut Obi-wan off. "It's unlikely that the Senator will completely regain her memory. It is best if she returns to Naboo immediately. The more familiar her surroundings, the better her chances of recovering her memory."
The vain superiority in the man's tone made Anakin grit his teeth. Obi-wan was much better at handling less friendly people than he was. "Of course. My Padawan will do just as you say."

Anakin looked up in surprise. "I will? What about you, Master?" he asked. The doctor eyed Anakin for a moment and displayed a look of disapproval in his wrinkled features. Obi-wan didn't seem to notice either of their concern. "The Council has suggested that Anakin be the one to bring the Senator back home. He's been with her the most these last few weeks and I'm needed back on Kamino." Before the doctor could protest, Obi-wan nodded to Anakin. "The Council is confident in him."

Defeated, the doctor turned to Anakin, stiffly looking him over. "I hope that confidence is not misplaced." Anakin stood tall so he could look down at the old man. His eyes flickered with his usual arrogance as he watched the doctor back away. "Maybe you'd like to discuss your concerns with the Chancellor," he offered, a smirk tugging at his lips.

The doctor only nodded and headed for the door he came from.

A yawn escaped Anakin's tired body as he stretched out his tight muscles. A mix of anticipation and fear returning to his mind.

He would be taking Padme back to Naboo. He could help her regain her memory of the recent days and of their feelings for each other. He would have a second chance.