Two

Anakin felt his stomach twist as he stopped short in front of an observation window. Behind that window laid a white robed patient with a brown mess of curls spread across the recovery bed.

Padme...

Now with his hands pressed up against the smooth glass, Anakin stared into the room where Padme lay asleep. He hoped she was asleep...

She looked so fragile in the hospital gown which cloaked her petite frame in a glowing stark white. Her features were soft like a blooming rose's petals, and still like a tranquil pond. He couldn't stand it.

Why did I leave you there?

Snapping Anakin out of his trance of regret was the hiss of the doorway as it slid open. A medic droid hovered out busily, carrying a tray of tools. Anakin tried not to see that they were syringes. "Is Padme alright?" he asked before the droid was completely through the door. The droid stopped to study Anakin for a second; it's glowing vision monitors didn't seem to process his question for a moment.

When it finally calculated an answer, it swiveled toward the window, gesturing to Padme's unconscious figure. "Patient 6628 suffered minor dermal wounds that were healed with bacta treatment. However, due to the impact of her fall, we have observed symptoms of-" Anakin cut the droid off as he grabbed at its lanky arm, pulling it closer to him. His breath came in a rough growl.

"Is she okay?"

The droid wobbled in the air as the tray clattered to the floor with a ringing echo behind it. As Anakin tightened his grip, the droid flailed. "The patient is stable but we have diagnosed her with mild amnesia. Please relinquish your grip on my appendage; this sort of strain could cause damage to your own health," the droid said answered as plainly as ever.

Anakin let go of the droid's arm and step back, his pulse escalating. "Amnesia?" he asked softly as he turned back to the window.

Anakin wanted to ask the droid a million questions but he knew he would have to find out for himself. What did she remember? As he started toward the door, the droid quickly hovered in front of him.

"Patient 6628 is in the recovery process and is prohibited from recieving visitors at this moment."

Anakin grunted and with his good arm he shoved the droid, sending it spinning down the hallway. As he ran into the room, he heard the droid make an announcement over it's intercom. "Emergency backup is requested in the recovery unit. Patient 6627 has invaded patient 6628's recovery room!"

As the door slid shut behind him, Anakin rushed to the floating medical bed. Now on his knees, he gazed down at Padme as he brushed away a dark strand of ringlets. For a moment, he found himself unable to swallow.

"Padme..."

"Huh?"

A pair of brown eyes fluttered open and Anakin blinked in surprise. Padme immediately sat up straight as a gasp of shock escaped. Despite his surprise, Anakin smiled in relief that Padme was alright. "I'm so glad you're okay Padme. I was worried-"

"What are you doing here?" Padme asked quickly. Anakin tilted his head in confusion. "I- I just wanted to make sure you were-" he started again. The nervous look on Padme's face gave him the feeling that something was very wrong. Padme wasn't as healthy as she looked.

"Who are you?"

Anakin felt his stomach turn over as he stared into Padme's innocent brown eyes. There was no trace of recognition on her face. He saw it in her eyes. She was afraid. Her amnesia.

"It's me... Anakin," he said slowly. The reality of the situation was growing heavy as Padme stared at him. Hesitantly, her gaze softened as she comprehended what he had said. "Ani?"

Anakin felt the sting of his childish nickname just as he had when he saw her on Coruscant a week or so before. But this time was even worse.

As he took a careful step forward, Padme scooted back on the medical bed. "I- I don't know where I am. What are you doimg in here? How did-" she stammered anxiously. Her eyes fell to his right arm. "And where's your hand?!?"

Anakin shifted his stump of an arm. He had forgotten all about it. He looked at Padme with sorrow in his eyes. She was like a small child who had been scared by a nightmare.

"You... you fell... I was in a battle- we both were. On Geonosis? Don't you remember?" he asked although he already knew the answer.

Padme got up so that the bed was in between them. "I'm supposed to be on Coruscant for the vote. There- there was an explosion on the landing bay. Corde was k-killed..." she tried to explain. Anakin held up his one hand but she only backed away more. "I know about Corde... that's why I came here with Master Obi-wan. We were assigned to protect you," he said, sighing with remorse. "We didn't do so well..."

Padme's face contorted to a slight scowl but her eyes were still marked with fear. She stepped back so she was against the wall. "I don't remember that!" she said in panic, "I don't remember any of this..."

Padme slid down the wall and buried her face in his knees. A muffled cry escaped and Anakin stepped forward hopig to comfort her. His plan was halted when her head sprang up. Her eyes were turning red from her tears.

"Stay away from me!" she snapped. Anakin froze.

Just then, the door slid open as a medical team flooded the room. Two men and a woman in white surrounded Padme as a third man tugged Anakin out of the room by his good arm. As he was pulled out the door, Anakin watched the doctors try to reassure Padme as she buried her face once more.

He stood in the hall numbly as droids entered the room, adding to the chaos he had caused. Padme had forgotten who he was.

And she had forgotten that he loved her.

*************************************************************************

     Quick author's note: Wanted to dedicate this chapter to @MrsSenatorSkywalker because her writing is just so amazing!