Four

Reporting to the Council was never a fun job. It was even less fun when you were reporting to the Council for doing something wrong.

"The Council recognizes that none of your actions prior to the Battle of Geonosis were ever authorized, Young Skywalker. The only reason you have been assigned to continue protecting Senator Amidala is because we are in desperate need of what Jedi are left to begin training Clones on Kamino," Mace Windu, remarked as Anakin stood before the Jedi Council.

Foolish of me to think they would praise my fighting on Geonosis. Or sympathize with losing my arm... Anakin thought as he stared at his boots. "I accept full responsibility for my behavior, Master," he said with an apathetic tone.

Obi-wan stood beside Anakin with his hands tucked into his cloak. Calm as always. "If I may comment, Master Windu," he began, coming to his Padawan's rescue, "But Anakin was the one who defended me against Dooku while I had been injured." A trace of a smile was present on Master Kenobi's lips as he glanced at Anakin. "Maybe some of my teachings have reached his stubborn mind, yet."
Obi-wan was a brilliant negotiator.

Mace, however, was neither persuaded or amused. "Never the less, a punishment will be dealt once he returns from Naboo," he warned. Mace gave the floor to the small green alien at his side. Master Yoda's ears twitched as he folded his wrinkled hands in his lap. "Meanwhile, your mission we should discuss," he noted, "Important Senator Amidala is to this war. Careful you must be when escorting her home. More threats there could be..."

Anakin's spine shivered. Just the thought of Padme being in danger was terrifying. Being in danger. Falling. "I promise you Master, I will not let any harm come to the Senator." Obi-wan gave a side glance at Anakin as if cautioning him. Mace leaned forward in his seat around the Council as Yoda shook his head slowly. "A fatal flaw, overconfidence can be, in a Jedi, Young Skywalker. A time of trial this is," he replied gravely. Anakin felt the weight of the Council members' eyes fall on him as they gave him further instrustions. Ki-Adi Mundi nodded towards him. "Be mindful of your thoughts, Anakin," he reminded.

Alright already! Can't I just get going? He thought to himself. The Masters must have sensed his anxious thoughts as they exchanged glances and the meeting drew to a close.
"May the Force be with you, Skywalker."

************************************************

The air of the apartment hallway was cool as Anakin debated on knocking. What if she won't even talk to me? He asked himself. He hadn't spoken to Padme since at the hospital and that encounter hadn't gone as well as he had hoped.

Making his decision, Anakin took a slow breath and knocked his knuckle against the door. The door opened to reveal a small woman with hair too dark to be Padme's. "Good afternoon, Master Jedi," the handmaiden said politely. Anakin smiled and returned the greeting, not bothering to inform the woman that he was only a Padawan.

As the young handmaiden waved him inside, Anakin's eyes scanned the apartment for Padme. She was no where in sight. "Is Padme here?" he asked, taking a step towards the living room sofa. The handmaiden- whome Anakin recognized as Sabe- nodded her head. "Yes, of course. The Senator is packing for her trip home."

Anakin looked past her, down the hallway and towards Padme's room. "May I see her?" he asked without turning back to Sabe. The handmaiden nodded down the hall. "Right this way, Master Jedi."

Anakin waited outside the room while Sabe spoke to Padme. Using his Force-enhanced senses, he evesdropped in on the conversation.

"The young Jedi Master is here to see you, M'lady."

"Ani?"

"I believe so."

"I don't want to see him right now."

"If I may, M'lady, he doesn't seem as intimidating as you described."

"Sabe, I don't want to-"

"But I do agree that he is handsome, like you said."

"Sabe!"

"Should I let him in?"

"...Fine."

Anakin stood silently outside as the door slid open and Sabe waved him in. Padme stood at her closet so her back was turned to him. She wore a navy gown with her hair tied in a stiff bun that made Anakin miss how she wore her curls down while on Naboo.
Once Sabe had dismissed herself, Padme turned to Anakin. Her face was contorted to a distressed frown. "Contrary to the Council's decision, I do not agree with leaving the Capital just after a war has begun," she remarked bluntly. A smile tugged at Anakin's lips but he only nodded. "You weren't happy about leaving last time either," he noted softly. Padme looked at him in confusion. "What did you say?"

Anakin paced toward the closet so he was closer to Padme. "Before you lost your memory, we had to go to Naboo for safety. You didn't agree then either," he explained. Padme stared at him, her brown eyes filled with a mixture of confusion and frustration. Then they softened. "You're not how I remember you Anakin..." she said almost to herself. Anakin smiled down at her. He almost wanted to laugh at how familiar her words were.

"Maybe you'll remember soon," he replied hopefully. Padme looked up him, her small frame tensing as she did. He could feel the warmth radiating off her face.

"Please don't look at me like that."
"Why not?" he asked, "Does it make you uncomfortable?"

Padme blinked in surprise. "Yes."

***********************************************

Hey guys! Haven't updated in a while but noe I should have more time since my volleyball season is over! Hope you liked this chapter! More in the weeks to come and watch for WCHB Part 3 coming out tomorrow! May the Force be with you!