Twelve

"Oh the Maker! I haven't any idea how we ever survived Geonosis! What a traumatic experience! My parts are still shaking!"

Anakin only shook his head. It had been less than a minute and he was already regretting flicking on the golden protocol droid's switch. He watched the droid wander around his bedroom, recalling his traumatic experience in full detail. "Alright C-3PO, I get it," he said in agitation. Another rare moment with Padme had been interrupted and Anakin was in no mood to put up with the chatter of the droid.

Turning to the dormant astromech droid by his side, Anakin sighed. "At least you don't talk," he said to the little droid, flipping him on. R2-D2's lights flickered on as the droid came to life. A whistle sputtered from him as he took in his surroundings.

The rain continued in a perpetual down pour leaving the outside skies a navy whirl of clouds and rain. Anakin watched out his window until R2 let out another whistle.

"What is it R2?" he asked. C-3PO waddled over. "I believe he is saying that you have an incoming message from Obi-wan Kenobi." Anakin groaned inwardly. Obi-wan... He sucked in a breath, not wanting to answer his master but knowing he should. "I'll take it," he decided finally and a small blue figure flashed from R2's projector.

"Anakin, I've been trying to reach you all morning!" Obi-wan said shortly. Anakin let his shoulders slack in exhaustion. "I'm deeply sorry Master," he said automatically.

Over the years, Obi-wan had grown to be like Anakin's father. But that didn't mean their relationship was always the best. The last few weeks had tested their friendship and neither of the men were particularly cheerful at the moment. "Have you completed your assignment, Anakin?" the older of the two asked expectantly. Anakin lowered his eyes. "The senator is staying with her parents now. Her memory hasn't-" Obi-wan crossed his arms with satisfaction. "Good, I need you back here." Anakin cocked his head as he held in his irritated tone. "But the senator still hasn't regained her memory. I think it would be best-"

His master silenced him. "I need you here Anakin. Your mission on Naboo is over. The Republic needs all the help it can get with training the clones," he replied firmly. Anakin held his tongue. Twice now, Obi-wan had cut him off. He wouldn't be bossed around by his master anymore. He was done being a Padawan and he would show it.

"I'm not coming back yet," he rebutted plainly. Defiance slipped off his words and made his master scowl. "The decision is not yours, my young apprentice. You are taking the next ship to Coruscant," Obi-wan ordered. Anakin clenched his jaw. "No I'm not!" he snapped. Obi-wan raised his eyebrows. It was only a matter of time before-

"Anakin, this defiant attitude, this... Rebellion of yours is the very reason you are not yet a Jedi! Orders are made for a reason and I will not let you disregard your duty! Now you will come back to Coruscant and that is final!" Obi-wan shot back, his face twisted like a knot. Anakin held his master's holographic glare as his nostrils flared. He wouldn't be talked down to anymore. Not by Obi-wan.

He knew how to disarm his master's fuse, though. He held a long breath until he could swallow down his temper and finally found his response. "I only meant, Master," he said in a voice too calm to be his own, "that it would be in the best interest of Senator Amidala if I stay here. She's an important asset in this war and I feel waiting until she is comfortable with returning would be the best option." The words were smooth and level, leaving Obi-wan smoldering.

Master Kenobi folded his hands slowly and Anakin knew he had won. "One week. You have one week Anakin and I expect you back not a moment later." Anakin pursed his lips, ready to put up further dispute but instead nodded with a slight bow. "Yes, Master."

*****************************************

After bidding Obi-wan goodbye, Anakin started out of his room, wandering how Padme could ever fall in love with him in such a short time, and with so many distractions. He stopped short in the living room where Padme was sitting.

With Palo.

Anakin felt his prothstetic tighten; Metal crushing in on itself. His eyes narrowed as Palo took notice of his presence and smiled. "Oh Anakin," he welcomed in a much too friendly tone. "Padme and I were just talking about my new exhibit. She and I are going to see it tomorrow." The young artist smirked proudly as if accomplishing some amazing feat as Anakin drew a sharp breath.

Easy Anakin. Don't let him get the best of you. Anakin exhaled before speaking. "That sounds exciting. I'm sure it will be fun for all of us." Palo's eyebrows rose in response. "Us?" he repeated in disbelief. Anakin nodded toward Padme and gestured toward himself. "Right. As Padme's protector, I can't justify her going into town without proper security." He watched Padme rise to protest but Palo beat her to it. "I think I can handle that," he assured them both. Anakin stepped forward, his eyes staring down the painter. Yes, he was a good seven years older, and considerably taller than Anakin, but no man in his right mind would impose on a Jedi. Not if he wanted to keep his arms anyways.

Still, Palo rose and looked down on him. Anakin kept a face like stone, while inside he was a volcanic eruption. "And I have complete faith in you Palo, but, you know; Council's orders." As the two young men stared dangers at each other, Padme stood up to intervene. "Palo, it's fine," she said softly. A light scoff escaped Palo's mouth as he gave one last glare at Anakin. Then he spoke just lowly enough that Padme couldn't hear. "Let's just hope you do a better job than last time..."

Anakin swallowed. It was all he could do to keep his body under control. The words burned his ears as he whatched Palo stalk away. Anakin waited patiently for his blood to cool. He remembered Padme sitting on the couch. She had been staring at his silent tantrum in utter bewilderment. Anakin only nodded to her. "Excuse me."

He followed after Palo and found himself in the dining room watching the rain again. Palo kept focused on the storm outside, but spared a side glance at Anakin to show off a smug expression. Anakin watched the rain pound on the window pane and tried to steady his breaths.

"You don't actually think what your doing will work, do you?" Palo asked finally. His eyes followed rain drops as he waited for Anakin's words. Those words never came. Anakin didn't want to do anything he would regret later and he wouldn't play into Palo's game. He silently gritted his teeth and wished the torrent of weather outside would drown out his rage.

Palo continued. "I was under the impression that Jedi weren't allowed to love. Anyhow, why would it matter? She doesn't love you." Anakin flinched at the comment. He glowered down at his right hand which was a misshapen fist of metal. He wanted to drive that fist right into Palo's nose but felt paralyzed by his anger.

Still saying nothing, Anakin kept his head down. Palo laughed coldly. "Nice talking to you," he added with a sneer as he headed toward the door. Before he was gone, Anakin's head shot up. "Palo," he said.

Palo turned to face him. "I just wanted to tell you," he said smoothly, "I look forward to seeing your work tomorrow. I imagine it will be quite a display..."

Quite a display indeed...