Back From Hell

*Charlotte's POV*

"Alright, let's get this to the police and get back to the funeral before we're missed," Emily said. 

"I don't care if people wonder where we are. This is way more important," I said. 

"Let's just hurry. I don't like being here much anymore," Jack said. 

"Why not?" I asked him. 

"There's a lot of speculation as to why I quit the force. I don't want to listen to whispers behind my back any longer than I have to," Jack said. 

"That makes sense," I said. Emily pushed open the door, carrying the plant and Jack and I followed her inside. 

"What are you all doing here? I thought David Clarke's funeral was today," one of the police men said. 

"It is," I said, smiling at him. He looked away, not wanting to show how attracted he was to me. I could just tell when guys were uncomfortable. 

"This plant was sent for my dad. Clearly, someone didn't read the card before setting the plant out," Emily said, shoving the plant at the officer. He read it and rubbed his chin. 

"I think I should give this to Detective Holden," he said, walking away from us. Emily followed, and Jack and I did too. 

The detective took one look at the card, and then another long look at us. 

"Well? We haven't got all day. We're hoping to still go back to the funeral," Emily said. 

"This is yet another piece of evidence that leads us to believe that Conrad Grayson is still alive," Holden said. 

"Excuse me?" Jack said. 

"That's right. There are many pieces of evidence. For a guy with so many resources, he does a poor job of covering his tracks," Holden said.

"Well, can we see the evidence?" Emily said. 

"Unfortunately, no. It's classified. We'll keep you updated on this case, since it now involves the death of David Clarke," Holden said. 

"I'd like to see the evidence," Emily said. 

"Have a good day, Madam," Holden said, ushering us out of the police office. We got in the car and drove back to the reception in silence.