New Perspective

Depuis le début

She walked to the back and pulled out a stack, hesitantly placing them in their correct spots. "Have you worked here for long?" she asked while sorting My Chemical Romance vinyls. "Yeah, a couple years. Did you move here recently?" I wondered. "Kind of. Just got my own place around here and I decided to get a job I thought I would enjoy doing," she told me. I nodded and dusted some of the older CDs that no one ever bought. I glanced over at Lynn a couple of times, admiring her features. She really was beautiful. 

It was nice and peaceful in the shop, with only the faint sound of music playing in the front and the shuffle of feet. 

After an hour of sorting things and organizing shelves, we began talking again. "So do you work most of this week?" I asked. 

"Yeah, I have one day off this week. Other than that, I'll be here," she said as she turned to face me. I stopped what I was doing and decided to take a break for a minute to talk to Lynn. 

"Cool. I work most of this week too. Not many people come in here so it can get kind of boring. Hopefully that'll change soon though," I remarked, making eye contact with Lynn. 

"Yeah."

I heard the bell ring in the front of the shop and immediately rushed to the front, anxious to help whoever it was. I took my seat at the register and waited them to come up to me and ask for help. After a couple of minutes, I felt a presence in front of me. I looked up from some of the forms I was filling out. "Need help finding anything?" I wondered. The guy standing in front of me was tall, with black hair and brown eyes. "Yeah, do you have any Blink-182 CDs?" he asked me. "Yeah, of course."

 I stood up and motioned for the guy to follow me to a shelf that was stacked with all of their albums. He thanked me and I took my seat back at the register. I studied the floor and realized it needed to be swept. I decided to do it after the guy left. Meanwhile, I got to sorting papers on the counter by the register. A few minutes later, I heard a shuffle of feet behind me and saw Lynn. 

"Do you need any help?" she offered. "Yeah, sure. I'm just kind of organizing papers and everything," I told her. She stood beside me and I felt her arm brush against mine. She was warm, which was different compared to how cold the store was. And her skin was smooth, sending chills down my spine.

 I looked outside and noticed that it had started to rain. I sighed and hoped it would stop before my shift ended, since I chose to walk to work and all. 

I rang up the guy buying the Blink-182 CDs and then began to sweep the dirty floor. It was a faded baby blue color, and the walls were milky white, but posters and shelves covered up most of the color. The cash register was a yellow vintage one that you sometimes needed to bang the side of to get it to open.

 It was around 2 P.M. when I checked the clock next.

 Lynn and I had finished stacking CDs, so we were sitting behind the register, talking. 

"So do you play any music?" I asked her. 

She shrugged. "I play guitar and sing, but I haven't really done anything with that. How about you?"

"I used to play piano but I haven't picked up anything recently. I've been thinking about it though," I answered. She smiled at me. Her smile was just as beautiful as her. I sat across from Lynn, discreetly examining her features. She had a silver nose ring and one eyebrow that had been shaved in two different spots. It suited her. Her hair was a shiny brown, and she wore mascara and eyeliner. She was wearing several wristbands and a couple rings. 

Someone entered the store and I stood up, surprised. "Hi, welcome. Let me know if you need help finding anything," I told them. It was another guy. He was wearing a beanie and had blond hair and green eyes. He walked around for a couple of minutes before approaching me. Lynn stood behind the counter, waiting awkwardly. "Can I buy this?" he asked while holding up a vinyl that he probably picked up randomly. "Um, sure," I said as I walked over to the old register. Lynn looked at me as I scanned the item. "That'll be $26.50," I informed him. He handed me his credit card and I scanned it. The register printed out his receipt and I handed it to him, along with his new vinyl record. "Hey, I've seen you around town and I thought maybe you'd like to go out sometime?" the guy asked me. 

"Um, no, sorry. I'm not into guys. Plus, I don't even know your name," I said, not making eye contact with him. "Oh, well, here's my number if you ever change your mind," he boasted, writing it down on a scrap of paper. He handed it to me. "Uhh, like I told you, I'm not into guys. Thanks for the offer though," I muttered, handing it back to him. "Okay then," he scoffed, walking out of the store. "Asshole," I mumbled, leaning against the counter. Lynn bursted out laughing. "What is it?" I pondered, meeting her gaze. "Nothing, that guy was just a total dick."

I smiled.

"So you're into girls then?" she inquired. "Um, yeah," I responded, shifting awkwardly. "Cool. Me too," she told me. 

Something made me smile at her, but I wasn't really sure what. 

One of my favorite songs, Hold Me Down by Halsey came on and I began to tap my foot, humming along. I felt Lynn's eyes on me as I began cleaning the inside of the store's windows. I found myself singing along a moment later. 

"You have a nice voice."

I spun around to see Lynn behind the counter, who was busying herself by wiping down the register. I blushed and she grinned at me, knowing she caught me off guard. 

I continued to clean the windows and watched the rain. It was around 5 P.M. and Lynn and I both got out of work at 6 P.M. The shop closed pretty early since, as you know, there wasn't much business. I swept my hair over my right shoulder and started replacing some strings on an old guitar while Lynn made sure the piles of records were even. It was pretty easy to get bored when there weren't really people in the store. When 6 o'clock rolled around, I turned off the lights and closed the blinds in the front of the store, setting the alarm. Lynn followed me out the door and I locked it behind us. 

"So how did you like your first day?" I wondered, shoving my keys into my bag. "I really liked it. It sucks that not many people come in though," she stated. I nodded in agreement. The heavy rain had turned to a light sprinkle, which I was grateful for. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow," I told her. We both went our separate ways and I started on my walk home. It was nice having company for once. I liked Lynn.

I hope that was kind of okay. Sorry it's kind of short. Hopefully I'll come up with some ideas for Polarize soon. A vote would be great!