nudes ➤ | ❝crushed❞

nudes |

crushed

                                 Sunday. The day of week that most people considered to be the holiest day of the week.

     A day of peace and good vibes. My Sunday was the complete opposite.

     "Savannah, I'm gonna need you to go and pick up some flowers from the shop. I need a centerpiece for the table." My mom said, setting the table.

     My family was big on traditions. Ever since I could remember, we invited our friends and family over for a big Sunday dinner. Sunday dinners consisted of dressing your best and sitting at a table with annoying people who like to talk with food in their mouth and laugh at ridiculous jokes that didn't make sense.

     "The day that I don't have to go that place, you want to send me there. Are you kidding me, mother?" I said, rolling up my saggy sweatpants.

     She laughed, "I know, I know, but I need a centerpiece and I don't want to use anything old. Barbara talked about the centerpiece I used last week and I almost punched her in the face."

     "Whoa, mom's getting violent! Everyone hit the deck." My little brother, Cameron said.

     I laughed and she rolled her eyes.

     "I need two dozens of white hyacinths and a dozen of white water liles, Savannah. I'm gonna need them in my hands in thirty minutes, so I'm gonna need you to hurry up."

     Groaning, I lazily dragged myself back to the bedroom where I changed into appropriate clothing, fixed my bun, and grabbed my phone. Without a word, my mother handed me the money and I headed downstairs. Randy was sitting at his desk, humming to himself, so I decided not to mess with him because I didn't want him to mess with me.

     The walk to the flower shop was somewhat torture. The memory of Max's antics popped into my mind and my stomach started tighten with every step closer I got there. I opened the door and my breath was taken away when I saw the sight of him. He was wrapped up in a blue blanket and he was staring at the counter, almost like it was his worse enemy.

     "Max," I said, slowly approaching the counter. He looked up at me and gave me a weak smile. "I need two dozens of white-"

     "Water liles and white hyacinths, right?"

     I nodded.

     "Yeah, your mom called ahead of time. It's for the dinner, right?"

     I nodded, again.

     "I figured." he said, chuckling.

     I nodded for the third time. We didn't say anything else and all I wanted to do was to hurry up and get out of there. I didn't feel comfortable in his presence, especially after what happened.

     "Look, about last night...I was drunk and I....I fucked up. I'm sorry for that." He said, staring at me.

     "It's okay, I guess. We all make stupid mistakes, right?" I said, slightly giggling.

     "Yeah, you deleted the pictures, right?" he asked.

     "Yeah, as soon as I got them." I lied.

     "Well, last night was surely a mistake. They were supposed to be for Stacey, but things happened between us and I guess I was just taking my anger out on you."

     "Is everything okay? I mean, with you and her." I said. I knew that it wasn't my business, but I just needed the details.

     "I saw her with someone else and like the cliché saying goes, it crushed my heart. I confronted her about it and she flat out told me that I was a liar. We argued and I ended up walking home, sad and drunk. Now, I'm here alone surrounded by flowers,  I'm cold, heartbroken, and I have the world's worst headache." he said, half smiling.

     The feeling of guilt and remorse hit me like a bullet in my chest and I wanted to give him a hug.

     "I'm so sorry, Max." I said. That's all I could say.

     He shrugged his shoulders and he slowly climbed off the stool and went to the back, returning with the flowers that I needed. I gave him the money and I smiled as I began to slowly leave.

     Sighing, I turned on my heels and looked at him one last time.

◦   ◦   ◦   ◦

     I giggled as my foot slanted to the side, making me lose my balance. Max quickly grabbed me before I fell on the sidewalk.

     "Maybe walking is a bad idea." he mumbled.

     "You're a bad idea." I retorted back, laughing.

     He rolled his eyes and he swung the door open to the building. The elevator ride was short and quiet and when we reached his apartment, we quietly snuck into his room.

     "Bastard, you said there would be grilled cheese!" I said, taking my shoes off.

     "Shut up and change and then we'll go in the kitchen." he said, walking into his bathroom.

     I quickly went to his dresser and grabbed a pair of sweats and a tee and changed into that, putting my other clothes on the chair.

    He came out with his pajamas on in a matter of minutes and I excitedly hopped on his back and we ran into the kitchen. He sat me down on the counter and I watched him prep the ingredients he needed to make his special grilled cheese. His curls bounced on his head as he nodded to the imaginary music playing his head. I laughed at his cuteness and I joined his little party.

     "You're a mess." he said, laughing.

     "I know I am. I feel like a bag of shit and all I want right now is for a train to come and run over me." I said, staring down at my swinging feet.

     "That's deep," he said, smiling. "but you're just drunk, so shut up."

     "No, it's the truth, Max."

     "Okay, you maybe a mess, but you're my mess, baby."

◦   ◦   ◦   ◦

    "Hey Max?" I spoke up.

     "Yeah?"

     "Make sure I see your butt tonight at my table." I said, laughing.

     He laughed, "I don't think I would miss your exciting Sunday dinners. Your cousin, Angelina is kinda hot a-"

     "She's engaged, Max." I said, walking out.

1020 words | I'm having a basement party