The 'Rose'

As shown from this book's info. this memoir is dedicated to my Great Uncle or as I call him, Grandpa Pio Frago.

He reminded me of this story about the young 'Rose' (myself).   The stories I mostly write are about people I know, and may twist it around.  And I've learned throughout the years, that it is better to laugh at yourself, then have someone laugh at you.

I chose the name 'Rose" as my pen name since gift stores would never have my real name on magnets or key chains.  And well ... Rose has always been used in comedy shows.  There's the 1980's show "Roseanne"(where "The Big Bang Theory actor Johnny Galecki got his start on comedy) and if you have ever watched the show "Golden Girls" - the great wise actor – Betty White - played the hysterical, witty, but wise Rose Nylon.

And let's not forget 'the plain Rose' played by the comical actress Melanie Lynskey, who chased down Charlie Sheen's character in "Two and a Half Men."

Not saying I'm a comedian myself or if I am like Melanie; as if I chase guys till they're mine ... LOL!

But the rose that blossoms in me personifies my artistry of music, poetry and writings!

And I also used the name in honor of my late Grandma Rosa.

Above is the song entitled "The Rose" by Bette Midler.  As you hear this song you might understand why I define myself as 'rose blossom'.  There are things in life that don't always develop well as others do, but it does not mean these precious objects should be overlooked.

So, without further ado, below is the first poem I like to share.  But as I always say, "You don't have to take my word for it!"  Actor Levar Burton mentioned that phrase every time he ended his children's show 'Reading Rainbow' and somehow that phrase just sticks in my mind.

Flowers

Welcome to my garden,

Have you smelled the scent?

Where flowers grow.

Yellow, Red, and Blue bulbs;

Orange, and Purple ones all fresh in the morning dew.

They all would like to tell us a story -

Of something mysterious we'd like to hear.

They say if a gardener talks to a flower,

The extra carbon dioxide makes them grow faster.

And the faster they bloom, sparks a new story of enlightenment.

So, please don't doubt the 'flower',

They might just be closer to your version of 'home'.