The Truth: For SageBaxter

Start from the beginning

"(N/N), I told you not to call me chief. Hic or Hiccup works just fine," he said, kindly. Which you wouldn't have minded if Astrid wasn't within hearing distance.

"R- Right. S- Sorry, Hiccup."

"It's alright. Well, I'm off now. Have fun." You just stared in horror as the doors to the Great Hall closed.

Astrid threw a broom at you. "Hey, worthless trash! Start sweeping!" The rest of the gang laughed as you kept your head down and nodded. They laughed even harder when she tripped you.

You got straight to work, not wanting to upset her. Within the first fifteen minutes, you were done sweeping the huge Great Hall and got to work on setting the tables as Astrid sat redoing her hair and makeup. You wanted to finish your job before Hiccup returned, that way you could leave before he gave you another job. That or Astrid would have less work to do when he returned from wherever it was he went off to. Astrid wouldn't do any work unless she knew Hiccup was watching.

Within another twenty minutes you finished setting all of the tables and tried to slip away.

"Whoa whoa whoa," Astrid said, grabbing your shoulder and pulling you back. "Where do you think you're going?"

"H- h- home. I- I j- just fin- finished s- so I, uh, thought I c- could leave-" A punch to the eye stopped your stuttering.

"Well, you thought wrong. Now, go finish the decorations before I give you another black eye," she threatened.

"Y- Yes, ma'am!" You got back to your feet and scrambled away. The twins had overheard and had fun wrestling in the middle of the Great Hall while you hurriedly set up the decorations. You finished within an hour and wondered what was taking Hiccup so long.

When you were done with the decorations you were forced to finish the food, but luckily Fishlegs finished a little less than half of it before you started. It took you another two hours to finish the food. You had just finished when Hiccup and Toothless came in holding more decorations.

"Wow! This place looks great, guys!"

"Thanks!" everyone but you said. Fishlegs giggled, Snotlout laughed once, and the twins and Astrid snickered as Hiccup thanked everyone for their hard work. You wanted to speak up and say you did most of it but didn't want to sound selfish or get beaten up by Astrid again.

"Anyways. The party will start tonight at six, it's only one now so you wanna hang out or something until then?" he asked everyone.

"Yeah!" Ruff shouted.

"Cool!" Tuff yelled.

"Sure," Astrid smiled.

"Oooh, sounds fun!" Fishlegs squealed.

"I'm sure I can make room in my schedule," Snotlout said, trying to sound cool.

Silence.

"(Y/ N)?" asked Hiccup. You didn't respond. "(Y/ N)?" He placed a hand on your shoulder and you jumped. "Do you wanna hang out - Whoa, what happened to your eye?"

"Oh, uh, I s- slipped and f- fell," you lied.

"Are you okay?"

"Y- Yup. Perfect, even."

He nodded, seeming to accept your answer. "Okay. So, you wanna hang out with us until the party starts?"

You shook your head no. "Oh, no thanks," you declined.

"Come on, please?" He begged. You shook your head. "Just for a little while."

"N- Nope, sorry, Hiccup."