The Green Girl and the Good Girl

I was up earlier than i should have been, making sure all my books were together even though i had done that the previous night.
I got a shower, changed into my Elphaba outfit, and went to the cafeteria for breakfast. The benefit of being up at this hour was that there were barely any kids there, meaning no queen bees.
When i was finished with my meal, i got something for Alyssa.
My Glinda was still sleeping when i walked in.
I set the tray on the table and sat on her bed, gently laying my hand on her shoulder and shaking her.
As soon as she woke up, she looked at the clock and groaned.
I laughed and handed her the tray.
"Breakfast in bed? How classy," She giggled.
"Don't expect it again," I warned jokingly.
She rolled her eyes at me, and ate her food.
When she was finished, she got a quick shower and fixed her hair.
"I just don't get it," I mumbled.
"What?" She asked i confusion.
"Most girls take hours to do their hair, but you spent less than five minutes and your hair comes out gorgeous," I whispered.
"Micaela, my dear," Alyssa began.
"Yes?"
"You're talking about hair."
I sat there for five seconds before jumping back and looking disgusted. Talk about delayed reaction.
"Let's get to class!" I suggested eagerly.
"But we still have half an hour," Alyssa pointed out.
"We'll be over achievers!" I said and ran out of the room.
Alyssa rolled her eyes and followed me. How do i know she was rolling her eyes if i was gone, you ask?
Why wouldn't she?
We walked around before classes. Many times, men who worked for Alyssa's dad passed us and called someone on the phone. Alyssa made sure to give them an extra smile.
We arrived at Doctor Darel's room with five minutes to spare. We were the first to arrive, and the teacher smiled at us.
"Our names are-" Alyssa began.
"Alyssa King and Micaela Pine," She finished.
"How did you know?" I asked in confusion.
"You two are the talk of the school," Doctor Darel said with a smile. "Even the teachers gossip about the popular who became best friends with the..uh.."
"Social outcast," I said. "I'm not offended."
Doctor Darel continued to smile at me. Other students came in, so she had to take attendance.
I groaned when i saw the queen bees.
"Don't worry, Elphie," Alyssa comforted, accidently using her nickname for me. "Don't let them put you down. You're beautiful no matter what."
I saw something pass behind her eyes.
"You're beautiful, too," I whispered.
"I never said i wasn't," She said.
"But you were thinking it," I told.
Doctor Darel called for the class' attention.
"This is biology class. Who can tell me what biology is?"
The class looked blank, so i raised my hand.
"Yes, Miss Pine?"
"The study of life."
"Thank you. Biology is the study of life. Who can tell me what ecology is?"
Again. Blank stares.
I barely raised my hand when Doctor Darel called on me.
"The study of the relationship between organisms and their environemnt."
"Yes! This is only a tiny part of what we will learn this year! You all had better study. Thank you, Miss Pine."
The class went on like this. I raised my hand for every question. I was surprised at how courageous i was being. Usually, i am so shy that i rarely or never raise my hand in class. Yet here i was.
I was liking Doctor Darel. Yes, she was strict, but sometimes you have to be.
When the class was over, Alyssa and I walked out together, ignoring the queen bees.
"You were rocking it in there," Alyssa complimented.
"Eh. I knew the answers. I'm usually not that brave. I really liked Doctor Darel. Yes, she was strict, but she has to be. I think she was kind of like me in the way that you have to earn a smile from us."
"Ooh. Deep. I think someone found their Doctor Dillamond," Alyssa said, nudging me.
"I guess i have," I responded with a smile.
Alyssa's phone buzzed, and she looked at it.
"Oh no," She whispered.
"What?" I asked, concerned.
"My dad will be here in half an hour. This is bad. This is very bad," Alyssa murmured, pacing the sidewalk.
"No it isn't. Sweetheart, look at me. Look at me. This is exactly what you wanted to happen. I can go with you and we can stand up to-"
"No. Look, i love you, and i know you just want to help, but i need to do this on my own," Alyssa told me.
"Okay. I'll give you some time, but i'm going to come get you ten minutes before 2:00. You may forget, but we have classes then," I promised.
"Agreed. I'm going to go ahead and grab my stuff for my next classes while i wait," Alyssa suggested.
Together, we walked back to our dorm room. Our clasped hands swung to a steady rhythm as we walked.
When we came to room 26, Alyssa and I grabbed our stuff and sat on the couch.
"I love you," I said.
"Micaela, precision of language," Alyssa commanded.
"So, what, now you're quoting the Giver?" I laughed.
"Yes. Now, like i said, precision of language."
"There is no other word to describe what i feel besides love."
"Aw. That's so sweet. I love you, too."
"Precision of language."
"Shut up!"
I grinned at her. She looked nervous once again.
"Hey, don't worry. Whatever happens, he won't be able to tear us apart. We're two good friends, two BEST friends. We are...we are...We are the green girl and the good girl."
"The green girl and the good girl, i like that. I guess that officially makes me Glinda the Good, huh?"
"You've always been Glinda the Good, you just needed a certain witch to change you for the better."
Alyssa smiled at me before her phone buzzed.
"He's here," Alyssa informed me, standing up and taking a deep breath.
She gave me a reassuring smile.
I wasn't sure if it was to reassure me or herself.
"I'll see you later," She told me.
"Bye. And good luck."
"Thanks, i'll need it."
Alyssa walked out the door, and as soon as it clicked shut, i regretted her leaving.
It was only 1:20.
I waited. Ten minutes.
Twenty minutes.
Twenty five minutes.
At twenty eight minutes, i left to find my best friend.
As I turned a corner, I could hear Alyssa and her father yelling at each other. I had to do something.
I bounced over to them and gave Alyssa a side hug and a quick peck on the cheek.
"Oh, hey Mr. King. Do you need something," I greeted.
He glared at me with disgust in his evil eyes. He refused to talk to me.
"Well, if you don't mind, i will be stealing my best friend. It is 1:50 and we both have classes at 2:00," I said and we sauntered away together.
The Green Girl and the Good Girl.

Comments?