Keeping Her Safe

The next day, i worked to finish scrubbing away the last remnants of the labels Riley and Rhiannon put on me.
My phone buzzed, so i reached over with wet hands and looked at my text.
Vanessa: You didn't check on me. Are you okay?
Me: Alyssa and I caught colds. Sorry.
I put down my phone as Glinda walked in. I called her Glinda, deal with it.
"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty."
"Morning," She mumbled.
She saw my bucket of soapy water and the washcloth.
"Is it coming off?" She asked with worry and shame.
"The one you wrote came off yesterday. The rest come off with a little extra scrubbing."
A knock came on the door until the person came right in.
"Micaela! What happened?" Vanessa exclaimed, wheeling into the room followed by Rose.
"Let me guess," Rose began. "Riley and Rhiannon got to you?"
"How did you know?" I wondered.
"They always pick on the new students, especially the ones who are..."
"Different," I finished.
"I was going to say unique," Rose said.
Nessa wheeled over to us and picked up a rag.
We worked together. The four of us.
Soon, all evidence of what had happened was gone.
Everything except the memories.
"Thanks guy," I said.
"Your welcome," Nessa answered sympathetically.
"If you ever need anything, just ask," Rose assured.
Alyssa and I both sneezed.
"What we need is medicine," Alyssa groaned.
"I'll be right back!" Rose shouted and ran off.
"I wasn't serious..." Alyssa stated.
"It's Rose. She would have gotten it for you even if you said you were deathly allergic to it," Vanessa sighed.
Soon enough, Rose came bounding in with medicine. She force fed Alyssa and I the right amount then made us glasses of tea along with chicken noodle soup.
We were then forced onto the couch as a remote was shoved into our hands and Rose and Vanessa left.
I shrugged and put on Mary Poppins. When Spoonful of Sugar came on, we laughed and sang along.
The rest of our day was gleeful and happy. No one bothered us (except Rose coming in to make sure we weren't dead)
In the middle of the night, Alyssa woke up suddenly and ran into the living room.
By the time i was awake enough to get out of bed ten minutes later, she was watching TV.
"Are you okay?" I whispered, sitting next to her on the small couch.
"Yes..no...i don't know...ugh. So many emotions."
"Do you want to talk about it," I asked softly.
She looked at me with sad eyes.
"I had a nightmare, that's all. Riley and Rhiannon were bullying you again, and i joined in. Well...i...i was enjoying it. I don't want that to happen, Elphie. That can't happen," She sighed.
"Glin, it will be okay. You have the ability to change that."
"You're right," She said with a determined look in her eyes. "I'm going to tell my father that we are friends."
"What?" I exclaimed, getting up from the couch quickly.
"Isn't that what you want?" She asked in confusion.
"What i want is for you to be happy, not bullied," I responded, sitting back down.
"Well maybe being your friend will make me happy. Even if it means gettin picked on, we'll get picked on together. I'm not leaving now."
I sighed and then smiled a small smile. "I'm not going anywhere, either," I promised. "After all, i have to spend a year with you in this dorm. Now go back to bed."
"E-Elphie? Um, Micaela, i mean," Alyssa stuttered.
"Yes?"
"C-Can i sleep in your bed. I-I'm too scared to fall asleep alone," She blushed.
"Alright. Spit spot," I agreed, quoting Mary Poppins.
She laughed lightly and went into our room.
I climbed into my bed, and she shyly slipped in after me.
The lights were already off.
Alyssa leaned her head against me, and i awkwardly wrapped an arm around her in an attempt to make her feel protected. I guessed it worked when she soon fell asleep.
I was awake for a little bit longer. I had a bad feeling about her telling her dad about us being friends. After all, i was basically a social outcast. But for the first time in a long while, i didn't care. I didn't care if her dad got mad. I didn't care if her reputation was ruined. I didn't care if Riley and Rhiannon bullied us both. At least we'd go down together.
That's all that matters.
Our friendship.
What we have is more than simple friends, but less than a dating relationship. We would never date, but we will always be best friends. Our friendship is a lot different than Kate and I's.
I like our friendship.
But in the back of my mind, not only does our friendship matter, but also one other thing.
Keeping her safe.

Last update until I get back from camp! You know, it would be REALLY nice if I could come home to some comments! *hint HINT*