PART 23 - Chapter 14

Start from the beginning

My hands slap on the bed in frustration. I scream silently into my pillow and throw a tantrum for myself. I know they belong to children in their terrible-twos but I am desperate to get this anger out. This is my world!

Masque… Why did you have to leave? My nails dig into my palms and I hit my head with the tops of my wrists over and over until the pain starts to feel good. There’s nothing left for me in my mind. I can’t even cry anymore but now I don’t want to feel. I want to think on how to get rid of them.

A shadow moves in the corner of my eye, taking me out of my state of distress. From behind the vanity she steps into to the light; the other one not of this world. Her hand skims over the costume rack and her feet step lightly on the clothing littered ground.

I narrow my eyes at her. She nods in an understanding and starts playing with the tips of her barely blistered fingers. Away from the nightmare, her burns are lessened and her face is more human. She doesn’t look like a mass of rotting flesh as she had before. She still looks like a burn victim but her beauty of before is starting to shine through.

“I’m scared of her,” she says talking of Lucy. It catches me off guard to hear her and only her voice. She quietly moves to the bed and sits on the edge as she had done so often in the dreams. “She likes to hurt people. Don’t let her hurt you.”

I sit there staring at this girl. I don’t know if she is trying to mislead me or if she really is sympathizing. Her head hangs down and looks at her feet swaying beneath the bed. I can’t help but feel sorry for her. Whatever her past is with her skin so flawed, it could only make someone either frightened or like Lucy, angered.

After minutes of silence passing by between us, I am back to a somewhat calm. I decide to help her even though I'm not sure why. It’s not that I trust her at all, but I’m not going to be left on my own with no help or information. She might be helpful in getting rid of Lucy. Well… of Lucy and herself.

I place my hand on hers signally a friendship, or rather an alliance. She smiles back at me sadly and stands. Folding my arms over my chest warily, I walk her out. Even in real life I take notice to her ghostly and hollow face. I open the door for her and she descends the stairs carefully, breathing in the scent of the darkening sky.

“Don’t worry little one,” she says turning back to look up at me. “I will get rid of Lucy. You can be sure of that.”

Her eyes scan the circus figuring where to go next. I cringe behind the door as I look to see Lucy and Mr. Huntsdale. They are talking to Feather who nods encouragingly at the girl. Rachael however walks straight towards them, not a hint of fear in her stance.

“But I might need help,” she whispers. I don’t think she meant for me to hear which makes my skin prickle. Lucy turns around to watch as Rachael approaches. The crackling girl bows out of the conversation and follows the path out of my sight, seemingly running away from her accomplice. Knowing whatever she knows, Rachael turns away from the same path and backs around to the other trailers. I can tell by the way she smiles that she has something planned.

Feather and Mr. Huntsdale talk amongst themselves, forgetting that I might be here watching. They are setting something up and now I’m terrified of what they can do. They should know better than to terrorize a girl with such a threatening man to protect her.

Thinking of Westley, my mind instantly remembers what happened before I blacked out. I run out of my trailer in the fading sun, trying to ignore the two who want to change my life.

What did I do to Rick?

After searching all over our makeshift trailer park, I still haven’t found him. I’m trying not to ask anyone anything and I hide in the shadows as best I can but I’m not the only one outside. Paulette is bringing around her laundry and stops me while I go to hide from her.

“Stop running,” she threatens. I obey her command trying hard not to be suspicious. But with my heavy breath and flickering eyes, I’m surprised no one has stopped me sooner. “What are you doing anyway? Trying to look for trouble?”

I shake my head no and attempt to pass. She won’t have it. Paulette blocks my way, raising her eyebrows for an answer. This woman knows how to get what she wants.

“I’m actually looking for Rick.” My balance shifts from foot to foot as I nervously look at the ground. I can feel her stare and it hurts me to even stay here this long. But I need to find him and Paulette knows most things around the Circus.

She shifts her basket on her hip and starts walking away angrily. Wondering what I did wrong, I follow.

“Wait,” I plead. “What aren’t you telling me? What is it? What happened?”

She doesn’t listen to me. The woman keeps walking. Desperate, I grab for her arm.

“You selfish little whore,” Paulette shouts at me. I recoil at her words, unprepared for anything like that. She looks ready to smack me. I step back and hold up my hands in defense. They make their way to my hair which scrunches under my fingers. Can’t I do anything right?

“Why,” I ask her, scared of the answer. I know being a teen who feels everyone is out to get you is clichéd but this is beyond a teenage mind. This is real life. I’m just terrified of whatever happened to him. “What did I do?”

“You should know,” she says. Enough is enough for her and she walks up the steps to her trailer, almost slamming the door. I watch as she fights the urge to tell me off but she keeps the slightest control and stares straight into my eyes. I crumble inside as she spits venom in her words. “He’s been gone for a while now. He’s fucking gone because of you.”

The Pretty PoisonOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara