PART 23 - Chapter 14

PART 23 – Chapter 14

“Such a little pretty,” the girls says grinning inches from my face.

I scream and try to throw off the blankets I have trapping me. Unsuccessful, she laughs eerily at my attempts. Gone is her smooth skin and marbled cheeks. She now looks like the girl I’ve seen in my nightmares. She is as wicked on the outside as her soul within.

My back crashes into the wall of my small trailer. I can hear the pictures and clock jingle on their hooks from the force of my terror. Much to my surprise, Lucy stands there and does nothing. She just watches me with those striking blue eyes and pulls at her tangled hair. I’m not even able to hear her whispers over the rasps of my uneven breath.

I can’t move. Fear has locked my bones and I am helpless against her. But the girl is stationed where she is. She just stares and I stare back.

A knock at the door makes us both jump. Her lips break into an even bigger smile as she skips merrily to welcome the guest. I shut my eyes and cover my ears. I don’t want to be here.

“Pretty, can I ent— Ahh…” Mr. Huntsdale sighs contentedly as the door creaks open. I hear the soft treading of Lucy’s feet making their way back to the bed. I feel her sit down next to me making me cringe even more.

“Are you alright, sweetheart,” Mr. Huntsdale asks. He walks over and starts to rubs my shoulder in affection. I flinch at his touch and he backs off. “What’s wrong?”

I can hardly manage a whimper. There are no tears of sadness anymore. I’m so done with crying and these tears aren’t welcomed. I can barely manage a heaving sigh and Mr. Huntsdale tries to calm me down by rocking me in his arms.

“Shhhh… It’s alright,” he says calmly. “I’ve got you. You can tell me anything.”

My encounter with him and Feather returns to my mind. I squirm out of his grip and cower in the corner. Doesn’t he get I don’t want to be here? Can’t he see the strange girl? My ears press harder on my skull and I stammer out, “L—lu—ceee.”

“What did you say?” I open my eyes for the first time and see him genuinely concerned for me. He goes to wipe the hair from my face but I swat his hand away.

“Lucy!” I shout at him. The demon girl smiles and moves closer to me on the bed. She leans her head on my knees and hugs me wickedly. I can’t move any further so I have to sit here and endure her. It makes me sick. “She won’t leave me. She won’t leave me alone!”

Mr. Huntsdale sighs. For a moment, I feel like he won’t say anything. I can tell in his eyes he doesn’t see her. I shut my eyes and pound my head because I know for sure I have lost it. Just drop me off at the next mental institution we pass. Sign me up for therapy and drown me in meds. I should just wear a sign that says ‘I’m psychologically distur—’

“Hello, Lucy,” Mr. Huntsdale breathes out guardedly. My mind reels under the truth of what my Ringmaster said. He sees her, knows her. My head perks up and looks at him.

“How’s it hanging, Anthony?” Lucy holds out a hand and Mr. Huntsdale shakes it dejectedly. He stands and wipes his face. I can’t even begin to believe what just happened.

“I have some business to attend to with the others.” His hands flop to his side and find their way into his pant pockets. “Why don’t you join me, Lucy?”

She scrambles off the bed and stands like a soldier in front of him, salute and all. I press my face into my blankets.

“Pretty, you are welcomed to come with us,” he says in hope. I shake my head over and over again until they go out the door. The thing slams shut and I am left alone with the thought of that demon in my world.