PART 31 - Chapter 20

PART 31 – Chapter 20

“Get away from me,” I shout at the mentally disturbed pair.

Feather leers over me, concern creasing in her eyebrows. No doubt she is thinking over what to do with me; kill me or just cut out my tongue and remove my fingers. Either way I’m not sticking around for her decision. My feet kick at the dirt as I stand. The exit seems so far away but I pump my legs harder. I’m not sure they have ever run faster.

Glancing behind me I notice Rachael following me only with her eyes. Feather on the other hand is in full gear sprinting to catch me. Her hair whips behind her like the fiery heart I know her to have. It’s monstrous the way her eyes narrowed at her prey. Only glimpse at her for a few seconds but I swear I see her skin chip away sporadically over her body. I turn away from my terrifying pursuer.

Striped material flies open at my touch as I take off from the tent. The archer’s steps are gaining but thankfully I have a small lead. I dart behind an RV trying to find any cover with no avail. There are no places to crouch into that aren’t blatantly obvious. My hands push off the metal to gain more speed but their noise only leads Feather closer. Knobs from the trailer locks block my way, making my run harder and more tedious. I leap over them like hurdles and change my direction yet Feather gains. She expertly evades the jutting hooks as if they were simple sticks lying harmlessly on the ground. My mind feels her presence bearing down on me. She is just too close.

From the corner of my eye, I see the smallest of chances from someone exiting the circus’s food stand. Its door opens wide, creaking and moaning before it shuts when their fingers let it go. Mimi’s fingers fumble with the lock but hardly bother with making sure it’s closed as always. She walks away happily strolling towards some far off place, lost in the pages of a cook book. My mind whirls at the opportunities which have just presented themselves. Taking this as the perfect moment, I veer quickly to the right and pass some trailers further out of the way. The woman chasing me is too stunned by my sudden move that her feet catch on themselves. I have just enough time to run towards my chance.

The handle to the Funnel Cakes and More! stand turns quickly under my grip. A loud screech blares into the air. Feather’s slowing distant footsteps let me know she has heard it too. Perfect. I slam the door shut and quickly sneak around to the back of the trailer. My breath barely contains itself but it is quiet enough.

Lightning Feather approaches cautiously. I bend down behind the trailer, hardly suppressing my urge to peak around the corner. This may either work or be a complete disaster. My heart thumps in my chest and I’m surprised she can’t hear it. She’s so close. My eyes turn to the dark clouds above me, blocking the stars. I whisper a little prayer and I know it was heard. Fortune favors my side today. The woman knocks politely on the kitchen’s door.

“Pretty,” she calls with a deceptively sweet voice. “Please, I know you’re in there. Just let me explain.” She pauses when I don’t answer. My head ducks down and watches her feet beside the wheels. They stand at attention, waiting for my reply. As my silence continues, I see them lift up and climb the stairs to the door. “I’m coming in. You need to listen to me.”

My feet soundlessly circle around as the door creaks a third time. She steps heavily into the mobile kitchen, making the hunk of metal lean to the front by an inch. I seize my chance. Bolting to the door, I slam it shut and make sure the lock is closed tight as Mimi forgot to do. Feather’s audible gasp echoes from inside the kitchen. Enraged, she shouts and bangs on the metal for my attention.

“Let me out of here, Pretty,” she screams at me. “Damn it, open this door!”

I back away in triumph as she fights on the other side. I’m safe for now but I don’t know how long until another one of the girls tries to find me. Not having many places to go, I head to the Ringmaster. I’m still a part of the circus. He doesn’t know anything of my resignation. He has to help me.