29

Monroe POV

"Ray!" I yelled as I knocked on his bathroom door. He locked it before I got the chance to run in.

"JUST GO AWAY!" He yelled, "PLEASE!"

"Ray what's your problem?"
"I'm cursed!"
I laughed, "Ray open the door!"
After a few seconds I heard the door unlock. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door and slowly walked inside. I was met with a tall, curly haired Ray holding a blow drier and a brush. He was pacing the floor and his shiny curls bounced on his back with every step. He looked amazing.

"I love your hair!" I yelled. He whipped around and looked at me with anger.
"Don't mock me!" He yelled.
"I'm not!" I ran over to him and pulled him into my arms. I had never seen someone so serious about their hair.

"It's my flat iron," he confessed quietly. I looked up at him and smiled.
"Why do you straighten it?" I asked.
"Because my hair is supposed to be straight." He walked away from me and grabbed his flat iron.

"No!" I yelled.
"What?"
"Don't straighten it!" He looked back at me in disgust.
"What are you talking about?" I thought about the things Ray told me about his nanny. I began to giggle and walk towards him.

"What's so funny?" He asked.
"You're not cursed," I said , "you're mixed."
"What?" He set the flat iron down and turned to me.

"Your hair is naturally curly because you're mixed!" I wrapped my arms around his neck, "Which means your nanny is your mom!"

Ray pushed me away and began to pace the floor, "DON'T PLAY WITH ME!" He yelled.
"I'm not!" I yelled, "you look just like her, you're darker than everyone else, and you have curly hair!"
"BECAUSE IM CURSED!" He screamed.

I sighed. He's completely brainwashed. It's clear that his nanny is his real mom, but I don't understand why he doesn't see it.

I sat on the marble floor and crossed my legs.
"Come here," I whispered.
"No!" He spat out.
"Please?" I begged. He sighed and sat in front of me.

"What?" He asked. I rubbed his arm and gave him a shy smile.
"You said your nanny treated you like her son, right?" I asked softly.
"Yes, she loved me."
"Your mom was never close to you, right?"
"That's true," he brought his damp curls over his shoulders.
"You're clearly half black, Ray," I stated.

He sighed, "but why didn't she tell me?" He asked.
"You never know! Your dad probably made her keep quiet." He instantly looked furious. He shot up and shook his hair around, lose curls and waves falling down his back and over his shoulders.

"DINNER!" Yelled a lady over an intercom.
"Let's go," Ray said with courage.
"You're gonna show off your curls?" I asked as I stood up.
"Exactly!" He grabbed my hand and we walked out of his room.

-

"Dinner!" A woman yelled over the intercom again as we walked closer to the kitchen. I couldn't ignore the fearless look on Ray's face as his hair bounced in the air.

"I'm here!" He yelled as we walked into the dining room. Everyone's jaws dropped at Ray's hair. There was silence in the room for a minute before Ray walked me over to a seat at the table, then sat next to me.

"You did this DIDN'T YOU?!" Ray's Mom grunted at me.
"Excuse me?"
"His hair is supposed to be STRAIGHT!"
"Then why did your husband pour water on him?!"
"Don't talk about me!" His father demanded.
"Don't treat Ray like shit!" I demanded to him. Everyone gasped then looked at each other.

Ray leaned into my ear and whispered, "Women are not to speak to men that way in my fam-"
"WELL YALL GOT THE WRONG ONE!" I yelled.

"WELL I NEVER!" His mother yelled as she threw down her napkin.
"Monroe, it's okay," Ray whispered to me, "just calm down."

"YOUR FAMILY IS SHITTY RAY!" I announced. They all gasped again.
"WELL I NEVER!" His father yelled throwing down his napkin.

"Maybe if you would've told your son who his REAL mother is, we wouldn't be having this problem!" I yelled. They all gasped once again.

His mother began to rise from her seat, "WELL. I . NEV-"
"SHUTUP!" I yelled. She gasped in disgust and quickly sat back down.

"RAHEEM ABDUL MUHAMMAD AMINI!" His father yelled as he stood up and fixed his coat, "WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS HOOD RAT OF A GIRL?!"

AW HELL NAW

"Oh boy," Ray mumbled

"Oh I'm the hood rat?!" I yelled as I stood up.
"Indeed you are!" His father argued.
"BUT WHO'S THE ONE THAT GOT ANOTHER WOMAN PREGNANT WHILE THEY WERE MARRIED?!"

Everyone gasped dramatically and looked at his father.
"YOU!" I yelled, "HOOD RAT!"

"WELL I NEVER!" He yelled as he began to walk out of the dining room, his wife following. We all marched to the front door when his father stopped and turned to face Ray.

"Raheem Abdul?!" He yelled.
"Yes. Father?"
"How dare you not defend your father?" Ray clenched his fist and glared at his father, lowering his head.

"HOW DARE YOU NOT TELL ME MY REAL MOTHER WAS BERNICE?!" He screamed.
"Son-"
"NO!" He yelled, "YOU MADE ME BELIEVE I WAS CURSED! YOU MADE ME HATE MYSELF!"

I walked behind Ray and hugged him.
"Don't worry about him baby," I whispered.
"Get off of him!" Diana yelled as she shoved me away and hugged Ray the same way I was, "He doesn't want you right now!"

I felt jealously and anger fuel my body.
"BITCH GET THE FU-"
"Monroe!" Ray interrupted.
"What?"
"Let me handle this please!" He pulled Diana off of him and faced her.

"I do not want you. I never have wanted you. I do not love you. I will never marry you. Stay away from me," he ordered.
"Raheem Abdul," she whined beginning to cry, "I have known you since we were children! I grew up thinking we were supposed to be married!"

"Diana," he stated once again,"it's not gonna happen."

Suddenly Diana ran over to me and slapped me across my face.
"DIANA!" Ray yelled.

Without much thought I grabbed her hair and swung her to the ground, punching her in her face.
"STOP!" She screamed.
"YOU STARTED IT BITCH!" I yelled back.

"Help...please..."

We all stopped and looked next to the staircase to find a bloody and disfigured Meka and James.

"Please call an ambulance," I looked in a doorway to find my abusive ex boyfriend Will, both eyes swollen shut and lip completely busted.

Suddenly Ray pulled out a gun and shot in the air causing everyone to scream.
"EVERYONE GET ON THEIR KNEES NOW!"

---

COMMENT

VOTE

SHARE