Ch 9- Let the Cards Fall Where They May

Caralina raced down the hall. Her bare feet barely making a noise as she flew across the carpet.

She knew she had to hurry.

She knew there was hardely a chance for her, but she would not give up. she truely was a fighter to the end.

She stopped at the top of the steps for but a second to catch her breath.

She had to be careful going down the stairs. If she fell, she would either break her neck or something to the point were she could not run anymore. She did not want to leave herself volenerable to him.

Not too fast. Not too slow. That was how she descended the stairs.

As her feet touched the last step, she heard something that chilled her to the bone.

"Tick, tock. The clock struck one. The little mouse went wee!" Alucard shouted. She could hear his voice as if he were standing right next to her and all around her.

She knew that he meant she only had one moment before he started hunting her.

She did not let this slow her down. It only made her run faster.

Caralina had always been fast. None of the other children who had actually wanted to play with her only ever raced her once before they dismissed the game when she was around. The only person to ever have beaten her in a race was Dracula.

She pushed herself forward.

That is when she heard the footsteps behind her. They were loud in her ear and she did not have to look over her shoulder to know who it was.

She could fell her heart racing a mile a minute now. Not from fear. No, it was far from it. It was just being overworked by the shot of adrenaline that kicked itself into her system.

The only problem was, every time she tried to speed up, the footsteps behind her only came faster.

She knew he would try to draw this out until she could not run any longer. This was a game of cat and mouse to him. What he did not realize, though, was that this mouse was after her cheese, and she would go to hell and back to get it.

She knew this was a long shot, but it was worth a try to use an old trick.

During her time here, she had learned just about every inch of the castle, and she knew how to lose someone easily in the many halls. However, none of those people had been vampires.

She speed up until she could not any more and heard the footsteps speed up as well.

He was right behind her now. If he wanted to, all he had to do was reach out and grab her. She would be helpless after that considering she had made a deal with him, she never went back on anything. But he did not want to end their game so quickly. He was having too much fun.

She knew where she was. Now was the perfect time to lose him.

She carefully rounded the corner and shot off down the next hall. She knew this was not the way to the door, but she could backtrack.

She heard the familiar crash as Alucard slammed into the wall, not able to stop in time.

"You are going to regrete that!" he shouted after her.

She chuckled to herself. She may be the mouse, but she had a few tricks up her sleeve.

She rounded anouther corner as he restarted his chase, more determined now than ever.

What she saw made her stop dead in her tracks. It was like a repeat of what happened two years ago.

The bodies of the servants that had replace the previous ones lay scattered on the ball room floor. Blood caked the walls, floor, and skin of the victims. Some had their throats ripped out. Others their entestants. Some were completly missing body parts.