Chapter 24: Getting Through

This chapter is dedicated to Hello617 ! Thank you so much for not only following me, but also voting for , like, every single chapter of this book. When I saw my notifs, I had the biggest smile on my face. Even bigger than any emoji can convey hahaha and this is for you. Sorry for the long wait! xoxo

I got all I need when I got you and I

I look around me, and see a sweet life

I'm stuck in the dark but you're my flashlight

You're getting me, getting me through the night

Can't stop my heart when you shinin' in my eyes

Can't lie, it's a sweet life

I'm stuck in the dark but you're my flashlight

You're getting me, getting me through the night

'Cause you're my flashlight (flashlight)

- Flashlight by Jessie J

When we got to the Watchtower, Bruce didn't waste any time. He stood waiting for me and Dick as we got beamed up on to the ship, the whole team standing behind him. Although I was reeling from the news Bruce had just given me- Damian was missing again! How could they let this keep happening?! A part of me felt guilty all over again, but we didn't know that Damian was still in danger. We caught White Ghost and all of his followers. I wanted to scream and punch and possibly kill multiple people, but Dick's hand holding mine kept me calm. That is, until I saw White Ghost.

During my recovery, I hadn't bothered to go see how Dusan was doing. I knew I wouldn't be able to hurt him, because I was badly injured myself. But now was different. Now I was all better. What Dick and I did last night was a testimony to it. Oh God, last night-

"Let's go," Bruce said without any greeting. He turned and the team parted to let him pass like he was Moses crossing the Red Sea. We followed behind, Dick pulling on my hand as a blush covered my cheeks from where my thoughts had been heading. Focus. I needed to focus.

While we followed behind Bruce, the rest of the team snapped back into action and went back to the various monitors popping up all over the place. I assumed they were trying to track Damian. If Dusan didn't give us any information, I didn't know what to do. I tried using a locator spell while Dick had been showering, but something powerful was blocking me. Bruce was quiet as we walked, and I could only assume he was beating himself up for letting Damian go missing again. Not that it was his fault, or anybody's really. I caught a glimpse of Jason and Wally when we arrived at the ship, looking solemn and badly bruised. They had been the ones who were with Damian last. And I could see from the look on their faces that they blamed themselves for what happened. I knew because I looked like that the first time Damian was gone. I would talk to them after I was through with Dusan.

Giving Dick a small smile, I slipped out of his hold and walked over to Bruce. "It's not your fault, you know," I murmured, making Bruce abruptly stop walking. Dick also stopped behind us, still a few paces back. He looked really uncomfortable.

Bruce looked like he was struggling with himself before he finally replied. "Isn't it?" he asked. "As his father, I should always be making sure he's safe. Protected."

"And you do," I reassured him, looking determinedly into his blue eyes. "I've only been with you for two months, but I can see Damian absolutely adores you. You've been a great father to him. But Bruce, this life we all live... it's not normal. If you beat yourself up every time this happens, it's not gonna do you any good. We'll find him again."