Chapter 12: New Wounds and Bandages

You must be a miracle worker

Swearing up and down that you can fix what's broken yeahPlease don't get my hopes up no no

- Fix A Heart by Demi Lovato

I stared incredulously at myself in the full length mirror of my closet. As if being woken up so early in the morning wasn't bad enough, I was forced to wear something I couldn't fight in! How was I supposed to protect Damian in this?

The high- waisted pencil skirt and sleeveless blouse hugged my body, limiting my movement in a very uncomfortable way. And although I was taught to have great balance, heels were a different story altogether. I was told I was strong enough to endure all forms of torture. Well, they never made me wear heels before. I was never going to be able to run in these things. Not to mention, my arm was still immobile in its sling. Huffing in frustration, I took off the shoes and carried it with me as I went in search for Bruce.

He had knocked on my door this morning after Damian went to get ready for school. I was happy he was finally allowing me to go with Damian to Gotham Academy, so I could do my job and look out for his son. What I didn't expect was for him to hand me a freshly pressed blouse with the matching skirt that I had to wear. Apparently, I was the new secretary of the Assistant Principal at Damian's school. And guess who the Assistant Principal was? That's right. Dick Grayson. How Bruce managed to pull that off, I don't know. I argued that I was an assassin, not an undercover agent. But Bruce being Bruce, it fell on deaf ears.

Bruce also told me that Jason and his team had left, and as I dressed, I wasn't entirely sure if I was happy or not. Even if Jason was somewhat an ass, he was also someone I could talk to. But Bruce said Jason would be back, so I guess I'd just have to wait. I finally found the whole family eating breakfast in the dining room. And by whole family, I mean Bruce, Damian, Dick and Tim. They all stared at me as I walked in, my heels swinging from my hands.

"I'm pretty sure the heels are meant to go on your feet," Bruce mused as they continued to stare at me.

I rolled my eyes and took my usual seat beside Damian, letting the shoes clatter to the floor. "And I'm pretty sure I should let the League know a new form of torture has been invented," I grumbled as I began scooping scrambled eggs and bacon onto my plate. "I'm not putting those things on until I have to step out of the house."

"Okay then," Bruce agreed, going back to his food. "So did you finish all your homework?" This time he was talking to the two youngest boys sitting at the table.

"Honestly, I wasn't able to finish my Algebra homework, but I can do it in the car on the way there," Tim answered. What the hell was Algebra?

Damian just mumbled something that sounded like, "I wasted my time reading a stupid story about a boy who marries a girl after barely knowing her for one day. And then they both end up dead."

"Are you talking about 'Romeo and Juliet'?" Dick asked, his fork full of eggs pausing halfway to his mouth.

"Yes, but I did learn a valuable lesson," Damian informed us. And honestly I was curious. He did just call the story stupid.

"Which was?" Bruce prompted.

Damian smirked, an amused light dancing in his emerald green eyes. "Never to get married."

Bruce sighed, Tim rolled his eyes and Dick chuckled. I stayed silent, but I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face. "I don't think that's what Shakespeare was trying to convey when he wrote that."

"Hm, yes," Damian agreed. "I suppose he was also trying to warn everyone not to marry at such short notice. I mean, who get married in less than a day?"