New Beginnings

Chapter Twenty-Nine

It was quiet yet peaceful in the morning as Gunner and I sat staring at one another. He smiled with a silly grin on his face as he bit into the slice of bacon in front of him. I giggled like a sixteen year old as I took a sip from my strawberry kool aid. The morning had peered into my window and I had never welcomed it as much as I did today.

When I awoke it was to find Gunner clinging to my stomach while I hugged my pillow. It was oddly beautiful how we found one another, huddled in my single bed. With a kiss to his forehead I slipped from his arms and took a fresh shower, washing away the smudgy mascara from under my eyes and the faded lipstick on my lips.

Once refreshed I skipped downstairs to prepare some breakfast for us to eat. Leaving out the sugar on his end. I was proud that I hadn't forgotten his allergy as I set the table and went to jump on him to wake him. We wrestled around the bed for a while until I insisted the food had gone cold. It was then that Gunner went to refresh himself while I reheated our food.

Now we sat staring at each other from across the dining room table. I liked the way his long hair curled around his ear and how the morning sun light complimented his features. I don't think I'd ever grow use to looking at him this close. He was absolutely breathtaking.

"So, I was thinking we could go out on a date tonight. How does a movie sound?" He asked.

I wrinkled my nose at the idea and shook my head. "There is a paintball place near by I've always wanted to try. Then after we can put some stakes on a grill and go for a swim in the lake." I advised.

"Sounds like the perfect first date." He mused as he reached to drink his water. I stood to put my plate on the sink and smiled when I felt Gunner walk up behind me and set his dish there as well. His arms wrapped around my waist and he gently turned me around. I found myself growing still as I looked at him. I could feel his wolf stirring just beneath those beautiful blue eyes.

Reaching over I caressed his face and placed a small kiss on his lips before the moment became too heated. In the far back of my mind I knew I had to get to work yet I found it difficult to pry my mouth from his. Then suddenly Gunner pulled away, his face shot in pain as he bent over to gasp for air. I grew confused for a moment and then it hit me as I stared at the cold glass of kool laid on the table.

"Gunner!"

He dropped to his knees and I panicked as I rolled him over only to realize he was laughing. Relief filled me as I realized he was playing a prank on me. Then my mood shifted to mad as I slapped his arm.

"You nearly gave me a heart attack!" I hissed as I hid my scarlet face.

"Relax, I'm alright." He laughed as he reached to tug my hands away.

"That wasn't funny, Gunner. I've only now just gotten you back and I thought I was losing you all over again." I replied.

"I was eating ice cream for dessert yesterday at dinner. Didn't you catch that?" He asked.

"What?"

I realized something as I looked at him. He was no longer allergic to sugar. "But how?" I asked.

"I don't know, all I know is that I can enjoy the sweet taste of candy, fruit, and then some." He said with a wiggle of his brow. He sat up and kissed me again, this time taking his time. I sighed into him, wrapping my arms around his neck as we both dropped back onto the floor.

"I knew I'd find you here, boy, you two didn't waste any time." Jeremiah suddenly said.

I laughed as Gunner stood from the ground and lifted me off into his arms so that he happily smiled at his brother. "I'd be a damn fool if I did, little brother." He replied.

Jeremiah smiled, and the expression on his face was genuine as he shook his head. "So are you two ready to lead a Nation? He asked.

Gunner looked at me and I in return did the same. I was more than ready to help him lead. I would do anything for this lycan. I'd go through hell and back just to see him smile.

"I am." I whispered as I leaned in to kiss him.

"You two haven't the least idea on how happy it makes me to finally see you together. I think you are more than ready." Jeremiah said.

Gunner set me down and I held onto him as he walked over to the front door. Jeremiah said his goodbyes and I waved as I watched him reach his car.

"I'll miss you the entire time." Gunner whispered.

"And I you...-" I chuckled as I touched his face and leaned in to kiss him, "Look at us, we sound like a bunch of teenagers." I said.

"Hmm, and I'm loving every bit of it." He grinned.

Gunner kissed me hard before pressing his forehead to mine. "My luna." He whispered, before walking towards the car. As he slipped in I waved goodbye but for the first time I knew it wasn't forever. I'd be seeing him real soon.

With a silly grin on my face I slipped inside and proceeded to get ready for work. As I went through my shift nothing could rob me of the smile on my face and the giddy little skip in my walk. Even my co-workers noticed the upbeat mood I was in, and I wanted the whole world to know it. To know that I was in love with Gunner Ardent.

"Something has changed." Mariel said.

"Yeah, the way I viewed my life." I replied.

"No, something big, but it's for the best." She answered.

"Well whatever it is, I welcome it, I couldn't be more happier." I lastly said.