White Flag

Chapter Sixteen

~Gunner~

I felt the command break, felt the fear of losing her clobber me as I watched her flee. My feet moved quickly and I shifted to follow after her. I knew that Mindy wanted nothing to do with me, it was very much obvious. However, it still did not change the fact that I had the primal need to protect her.

Granted that everything in my life had blown up before my very eyes, had I not deserved a second chance she wouldn't be but two feet in front of me. Unless it was all simply a coincidence.

Had I not been the fool craving over my own desires, I would have had her to begin with. Now things seemed odd and awkward between the two of us. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that she hated the thought of me.

The Mindy I saw now was one I had failed to see so long ago. I cared little for her change it was the strength and authority in which she carried herself that drew me. I had been taught all my life to look past appearances.

Looks withered and died but the inner soul and connection is what would always remain united. My wolf and soul craved that connection, I knew and understood now that I'd find that peace and tranquility in her.

No other were would ever offer me the security and strength I could find in her. That day in the arena, when I had found the courage to look down to her, the strength she carried had awaken in me something I thought had died long ago.

I could push myself to win her over, but how? I had never used tactics to swoon a female. Father had always brought them to me. I hadn't the least clue on how to drop hints much less approach her on how I was feeling. I wasn't experienced but I did understand that confronting her about what I wanted was out of the question.

I felt trapped and old fashioned as I thought about it. I'd fail miserably to try and win her heart. Defeat began to settle in me as I realized I stood no chance. Mindy would never consider taking back a lost and rigid soul like me. I was far from gaining her good graces.

My eyes focused on her soft fur. It was the color of cinnamon, perfectly tamed and shiny. She moved swiftly and almost quietly. Only the faint shift of the grass could be heard as her paws hit the ground with a light thud.

"Do you really believe we have lost her?" Talen asked.

"Let's face it. I've been nothing but vague. I sought my own fate, I should have stayed, should have taken her as my Luna. I have done nothing but cause ruin to everyone I know." I replied.

"I believe you have the opportunity to make things right." He said.

"No Talen, I think it is best to let Mindy be. I need to step down as Alpha, I don't deserve the position. I convinced myself that leaving Mindy was for the good of the Nation but in reality it was what I thought was good for me. I know that now, and I admit it. A real Alpha would have taken what was given and made the best of it. I am surprised that father allowed me to take his place." I admitted.

"Very well...then what shall we do?" He asked.

"Act as a guardian, look out for her." I replied

"I can feel your pain, Gunner. Are you sure you will be able to do this?"

"Yes, we don't deserve her, Talen. I will let her be, let her find her own path. She deserves much better. It's my cross to bear, I will not pursue her, simply watch over her and make certain that she lives a good life."

"We will not survive this loneliness, our strength wain's without her. It won't be long before we fall into a comatose state." He reminded.