Tested

Chapter Eleven

There were five tasks that would determine if we were ready. Those who failed would be sent back to the force where they would be pushed to the maximum. If you had to repeat a fifth year at the camp there was no telling what awaited you there. But I was confident in myself. I knew I had this in the proverbial bag. It wasn't to brag or elevate myself above everyone else, I was just that damn positive in myself.

Task number one, Agility. If you could prove you had the ability to move quickly and gracefully you passed to the next level. The task consisted of you pivoting and moving away from your attacker without having to strike, and if you could do it without shifting, it was even better.

Task number two, Stamina. Your opponent gets to have their way with you. Tossing, slamming, and punching for three whole minutes. If you could not make it past one you were officially red flagged. Stamina was the definition of the ability to sustain physical and mental effort. You had to empty your mind.

Task number three, Sage. A moment to use your better judgment against an obstacle. Chained to the ground, we were allowed only on our knees. This task consisted of us finding a way out before a shifted lycan was set lose to attack. If you were bitten, it was game over. Again, if you could do it without shifting you were considered on a higher rank than those who did.

Task number four, The Wolf. Our hearing was considered one of the many things used as a spy or a guard. Blindfolded, you'd stand front and center. Using your hearing only, you had to pivot away from your attacker or the flying object coming at you. You failed, you'd be sent packing.

Task number five, Strength. The last battle before you were ranked and placed in your rightful position. A one on one with one of the most ruthless of the Cobalt Nation.

Only thirty of us hand made it this far. We stood tall and anxious to prove ourselves. One by one we were called out and the first to go was Sasha. As I sat starring at my toes get filled with sand, it was her scream of agony that cut through the silence of the cell. She was led inside in a cot, her body battered and bruised as they settled her over a bench and left her. A medic would follow along but she was punished to soak in her pain for an entire hour before someone came to her aid. It was to teach us that this was real, this pain could be dealt with if we simply pushed ourselves to our full potential. Being lycan's we didn't die of such injuries but the pain was very much felt.

Of course we weren't impervious to diseases, infections, and the incurable but our rapid healing did allow us to escape such things as cuts and bruises. My eyes lifted to see Sasha tremble. Her right arm draped over her stomach where a large gash bled and soaked into her tattered shirt. Her face was bruised and bleeding. She was a mess. One of her legs was twisted, the sight of it only made me mentally prepare myself.

Her weeping stopped and her tear filled eyes looked to me. A streak of blood oozed from her lips as she opened her mouth to speak. "I didn't make it past the third. I failed to to unhook the chains. I shifted, but by then I was too late." She whispered.

I looked up again and stared at her she began to weep. "Take this as a lesson and remember where you need to better yourself. Don't give in, don't give up, you have it in you to finish this." I replied.

She swallowed hard before turning her head to look to the sun spilling in through the barred gaps. Sasha said no more, she was quiet the rest of the time. An hour drifted away before a medic came to tend to her. She was lifted once again after being patched up. I stood as the Sargent called my name. I was up next.

Before they could whisk her away Sasha grabbed a hold of my hand. She squeezed down on it, blood staining my skin as she looked at me with determination. "Go kick some ass out there." She said.