𝖝𝖝𝖝. Every Breaking Wave

Kathryn won't look away from her father

Kathryn won't look away from her father. She's scared that if she does, he'll think he's won, and that thought was insulting. He'd lost for the last time. There was no way he would get back from this, and they both knew it. This was just the last shred of Kathryn's paranoia giving a final cry.

She'd won, and she does hope the thought killed him.

"Yeah?" A gun cocks from behind them. "Well I've got something better than a thought."

Her eyes nearly bulge out of their sockets, glancing up at JJ, and then turning around. This was the third time today. This was getting old, and that came from someone who was kidnapped five times. Still, adrenaline and fear rushed through her veins all at once. This wasn't Ward, this wasn't Edward. She had no way to know if the man in front of her wouldn't shoot to kill.

Kathryn recognises him, as John B holds his own gun up. It's the man that nearly killed him, back at the temalacatl. One of Singh's men. A killer. He wouldn't bat an eye, spilling their blood.

When he sees what the teenage boy does, he aims the gun at Big John panting heavily, thrown across the rock. He wouldn't mind.

"Toss it."

No one dares to say anything. Big John's voice comes out, tired. "Your boss is dead. You got no reason to do this."

"I can think of a few reasons. Toss it!"

John B has no choice. He lowers the gun, and lets it drop on the ground.

Kathryn's heart is still hammering in her chest from her father's confrontation, she barely has time to process anything. She tries to inch towards JJ as best as she can, walking backwards without looking, away from Edward.

"Nobody move!" She was almost there, arm held back, she felt JJ's finger brush against her's. "My mate back there is dead."

She remembers. The man Ward shot, to save her. Her eyes drift to his corpse, now further away from her. She glances at Sarah. Her eyes are red-rimmed, wide with fear and grief. She looks at Edward, stepping closer to her despite the man's order. He gives a single nod of his head towards the man. She turns back to him.