𝖝𝖛𝖎. My Brother's Keeper

Kathryn hasn't been able to sleep

Kathryn hasn't been able to sleep. Either her brain is all scramble at the mere thought of getting into Yale, or she hasn't had a decent night sleep since... Well, she's not going to spell it out for you, but it's hard to readjust to sleeping alone when you are used to having a weight on your chest at all times of the night.

At least she uses her time right.

"Why are you up? It's like, five AM. That's a bit early for you."

She turns around to look at Henry, and holds up her letter in answer. "I got in!"

Henry grabs the letter and gives it a once over, before shaking her shoulder and letting out the quietest shout she'd ever heard. "I'm so proud of you, kid. Even if I had like, zero doubts."

"Thanks," she grins back. Then, she holds out her dad's journal. "I've been doing homework in preparation."

He sits down heavily on the couch next to her. "What does that mean? Give me very broad strokes."

"Well I was just reading through dad's journal, and while there are some theories about El Dorado and Denmark Tanny, I really like what he wrote on Kalinago."

"Broader strokes?"

"Native American tribe in Venezuela. The dialect is very complicated, barely translated, but..." She shows him some of the sigils her father has drawn. "Dad translated a bit of words. You can see some resemblances between them. Like here, look." Her fingers trail over them. "This is 'home,' and this is 'friends,' and this one looks a bit like them combined, so I think it's 'family.' But, what I like most is the way they work together. The order of words determines if it's a verb, or a subject, or an adjective, and your eyes are really blank right now."

Henry stares at her. "You're smarter than me, kid. I have no idea what you're talking about, but Yale better watch out."

"I just like to see how words work together. Dad was more focused on making sure the result fitted the sigils he found. He was working backwards and shoehorning in some weird meanings... Which is still good, but not how I'd do it."