𝖝𝖎𝖛. Square One

Kathryn stares at the unopened letter in her hands

Kathryn stares at the unopened letter in her hands. The stamped Yale seal leaves very little doubt as to who sent her this. She glares at the seal. The timing couldn't be worse. They'd just lost the Cross. She'd just made a colossal mistake, kissing her ex a day after they broke up which, she's sure, has gotta be against some sort of law.

She looks up at her dad, flanked with Billy and Max. Henry is standing next to her, eyes zoned in on the letter.

"I'm not supposed to get an answer until December."

Edward grins at her. "I know. I called someone, speeded the process up."

Kathryn doesn't share his excitement, and finds herself frowning at her dad. "I hope that's all you did."

"He didn't buy your way in, I made sure," Henry tells her, nudging her. "If you do get a positive answer, it'll be all thanks to you, and only you."

"You didn't have to. I already know Kathryn can get in on her own, this is just formality."

Her fingers trail over the letter. "I'm not sure I should open it."

Billy bristles. "What? But it's all you've been waiting for, Kitty."

It is. She couldn't dream of anything else, back on the island. And now that she had it in her hands, she wanted to burn it and never know. She had planned to open it with everyone. But Pope had just lost the Cross, and John B was still MIA with daddy dearest, and well, JJ...

She wanted it to be perfect. And even if she knows now that perfect timing and good reasons and waiting isn't the answer, it was hard to shake away from things that protected you your whole life.

And, besides...

"I don't see myself just showing up to the Chât and shoving my letter at them. It's not exactly the right time."

Max hums. "I think they'll be happy for you. It'll get them a bit of happiness, right now. The choice is yours, though."

She makes a face, and folds the letter, putting it in the back pocket of her low cut jeans, adjusting the burgundy vest she's wearing in the same movement. "Yeah. John B called for a group meeting either way, I'll see what I do once I'm there."