𝖝. A Caring Kind of Hatred

Kathryn had thought about a thousand different kind of ways to torture JJ once she got the Palace

Kathryn had thought about a thousand different kind of ways to torture JJ once she got the Palace. Force him to ask Henry to borrow his truck, simply walk past her dad, or maybe subject him to the sight of a very, very disappointed Max. She had been filled with so much rage against JJ, she saw no other way out than with him hurting as much as she did. Gone was the nice sentiment to not let her friends burn with her. She'd start the fire under his feet if she could.

When she walked in with him and Billy, she realised that none of them would ever compare to reality.

"Mum?"

Henry, sitting on the couch, feet propped up on the coffee table, groans audibly. "Don't remind me."

Caroline Darcy is sitting on an armchair next to the couch, richly dressed, relaxed enough that you wouldn't think she's supposed to be in jail for murder.

...A murder she didn't commit, seeing as Edward was next to his brother, looking exceedingly fed up. She hadn't thought of that, but she wished she had.

JJ has horror written all over his face. If he did sign up to getting tortured by Kathryn because he whole-heartedly believed he deserved it, this was pushing it a bit. Why is he here again? Oh, yeah. Because Kathryn said she'd cut him out of the gold hunt, of helping Pope.

He's got to admit, she knows where to hit.

"Hello, Kathryn Elizabeth."

Kathryn blinks, and looks back at Billy. "I'm going to kill myself."

"You are so dramatic," her mother sighs.

"Nah, I'm joining her," Henry hums.

"Make that three," his brother adds.

Caroline lets out a long sigh and closes her magazine. "If you had stayed dead like it was planned, I wouldn't be here in the first place. I'd be in jail." She turns to Kathryn. "Because someone couldn't get her nose out of your stuff. Truly, Kathryn Elizabeth, did you even read the letter we left behind?"

The letter that's now evidence for murder, that they found, with JJ. When everything was going wrong, but felt somehow right, because they were together.