CHAPTER THIRTY -THREE; Fake Tears

The holidays was very sad and boring for me no matter how hard my mum and dad tried to cheer me up I wasn't happy.
   I didn't even talk or play much with my siblings. I was always on my own either reading or sleeping.
  I didn't want to get into any conversation with anybody so, I was always on my own.
   I was still upset with my Dad because, he refused to tell me the whole truth about Chibuikem's death.
   One day, Chibuikem's Eldest  brother, came to the house to see my parents I. I didn't ask why because I knew they wouldn't tell me anything. I was only told that he came back from the University and needed to say hello to everyone before leaving. I knew this was a lie because he was present at Chibuikem's burial.
   I pretended to drink water in the Kitchen when I overheard my dad say to him calmly
"Chibuzor, you have to forgive your father.. you can't avenge your brothers blood. It was a mistake he didn't plan to hurt Chibuikem."
  "You must be joking Uncle.. it seems you don't know your brother. My father can kill anyone to achieve his deadly dreams."
" ta! don't say that he is your father! " My dad scolded him.
   'Now, this is getting interesting' I thought to my self. In order for me to eaves drop effectively without getting caught, I say down behind the kitchen door close to the parlour to listen clearly.
  "Look, Chibuzor, you are already Twenty eight years old... you are a man now. You are no longer a boy."
'what? did I hear right? Twenty what? now I know why kids aren't allowed to listen to adults conversations.'
  So Chibuzor is a man? I never saw him that way until my father said it.I knew he was way older than me but I just didn't see him as a man. I saw him as a boy.
    By now, Chibuzor, was already shouting at someone. I wondered who he was shouting out now because I didn't hear a thing from my dad and my mum ,was still washing at the back of the house. I was just about to peep when my dad called my name"Winner! Winner! please close that door."
  At that moment, I could hear my heart beat in my ears. It felt like it was going to pop out of  my chest.
He called one more time and I almost lost it when my mum opened the main door and walked in"Ah! I think she is sleeping you know how she has been lately I'll  close it."
  phew! my mum can be a life saver sometimes. I felt a sense of relief when I heard the sound of the room door closing and from her silence, I knew she didn't check the room for me and also, My annoying Sisters, were sleeping.
" Oh that's true, where are they I haven't seen them since. " Chibuzor said.
" hnmm.. my son, death is not good o if you see how Winner has been behaving nowadays.. ah! she doesn't eat she is always crying or sleeping -"
" For what now? see what this man has caused. "Chibuzor lamented.
" shhh.. biko kwue na igbo, o nwere ike teta nu gi ugbua. Achọghị m kakpọọ ndị mmadụ asị.
(shhh.. please speak in Igbo, she might wake up and hear you now. I don't want her to have any hatred for people. )"
    My mum asked him to speak in Igbo and I found it funny because I'm older now and I understood a little bit of Igbo.
   " Oh! nke ahụ bụ eziokwu mana gịnị kpatara na ị gwaghị ya? ọ ga-amata eziokwu otu ụzọ ma ọ bụ ọzọ, ọ ga-achọpụta na, na nna Chibuikem bụ ekwensu!(Oh! that's true but why haven't you told her? she has to know the truth one way or the other, she would find out that , that Chibuikem's father is a devil!)"

"Ah! akpọkwala ya ugbu a. Ọ bụ nna gị ihebụla, ọ mụrụ gị.(Ah! don't call him that now. He is your father no matter what, he gave birth to you.) "