forty-one.

Talia Turner | 1997
In the Wilderness

Talia was roused from her sleep and she nearly jumped when she saw her sister standing over her.

"Taissa, what the fuck," Talia whispers.

"I need to talk to you," Taissa says.

Talia sighs as she closes her eyes, "This can't wait until morning?"

"No," Taissa tells her.

Talia opens her eyes and looks at Taissa. She can see the distress on her face. She feels the gravity of the situation when her sister softly says, "Please."

"Talk," Talia says.

Taissa shakes her head, "Not here."

Talia sighs again as she shoves the blanket off of her and grabs her jacket. She bundles up and heads toward the door. She holds the door open for Taissa and motions for her to follow. Taissa follows her outside.

"What is it?" Talia asks as she hugs herself.

"I've been sleepwalking," Taissa says, "And when I do I end up outside and I find those fucking symbols carved into trees."

"So?" Talia asks.

"Van wants me to talk to Lottie," Taissa tells her.

"You're not doing that," Talia tells her sister.

"I know, but I don't know what to do," Taissa responds.

Talia scoffs, "You just keep what you're doing. Those symbols mean nothing. Lottie's just – she needs something to have meaning so she's latching onto the symbol and the wilderness but that shits not real, I mean you know that, right?"

"Yeah," Taissa says.

"Okay then. Problem solved," Talia says.

"I don't know-"

"Taissa," Talia says her voice raising slightly and Taissa jumps at the sound of her sister's voice. She instantly regrets it when she sees the look on her sister's face. She hadn't meant to raise her voice she was just exhausted, physically and mentally.

"I'm sorry," Taissa apologizes.

"No," Talia says, "I'm sorry. Your concern is valid. But the symbols aren't real. All the stuff Lottie is saying isn't real. You finding the symbols is nothing more than a coincidence, okay?"

"Yeah," Taissa says nodding her head, "Yeah, okay."

"Do you want to sleep downstairs with me?" Talia asks. Taissa nods her head and Talia nods as she embraces Taissa and ushers her inside. The twins lay down beside one another. They had shared a bed until they were five and even when they had their own beds, they still managed to find their way into each other's.

"Everything is going to be okay," Talia tells her sister.

"And if it's not?" Taissa asks.

"I'll make it okay," Talia states.

Taissa nods her head and Talia offers her a small smile as she leans forward and rests her forehead against Taissa.

•••

Crystal and Misty were singing while everyone ate breakfast which was nothing more than broth. Shauna entered the cabin and set the food down an angry expression on her face.

"So who's the thief?" Shauna looks around and no one says a word, "Someone stole bear meat from the shed. I guess they think they deserve more than the rest of us, which at this point is pretty fucked. If anybody, I'm the one who should be taking some more except I'm not because I'm not the fucking worst!"