sixteen.

Talia Turner | 1996
Somewhere in the Canadian Wilderness

This is How We Do It by Montell Jordan filled the room as the girls did the dance that they came up with using a bunch of random dance moves. Talia smiles at Quinn as the two of them tap their foot together just as the radio dies out.

"Goddamn it," Van says as she grabs the radio and taps it.

"What happened?" Shauna asks.

"I don't know. Has hitting anything ever fixed it?" Van asks.

"Maybe try blowing on it?" Mari suggests. Van blows on the portable radio just as there is a creaking noise upstairs. All the girls look up at the sound.

"Uh, what the fuck was that?" Jackie asks.

"You heard it too?" Lottie asks softly. Talia looks up at the taller girl and places a hand on her shoulder, gently squeezing. Lottie had been quieter these days. She was still uneasy about the cabin and Talia wasn't sure what to do to calm her concerns.

"It was probably just a branch," Taissa states.

"Inside on the floor?" Mari asks, "What if it's...him?"

"The dead guy?" Shauna asks.

"Uh yeah?" Mari states.

Natalie smirks, "You know what it probably was? The dead guy's missing fingers trying to find their way home."

Taissa shakes her head, "Do you really have to encourage them?"

"You have to admit it didn't sound like it was on the roof," Akilah responds.

Jackie sighs loudly, "Fine then it was a rat, or a raccoon or something-"

"Shush," Lottie orders and Taissa throws her head back in annoyance as the room falls silent, "Listen."

Mari throws her hands in the air, "I don't hear it now."

"All right, you know what I think it was? I think it was the ghost deciding it was time to get some sleep," Ben states, "And we should probably do the same."

"Great, even in a plane crash we still have curfew!" Quinn exclaims. Mari laughs loudly at the comment and shoves Quinn's shoulder.

"Quinn you're so funny!"

"Thanks, Mari," Quinn says with a forced smile before walking away. Mari closes her eyes and Akilah laughs.

"Oh Quinn you're so funny," Akilah teases.

"Shut up," Mari says as she hits Akilah on the shoulder.

Talia shakes her head at the younger girls' antics as she goes over to her makeshift bed on the floor. Lottie comes over to join her and Talia smiles at her.

"Could I – would it be okay if we shared a blanket?" Lottie asks. Talia's brows furrow and then she understands that Lottie is asking to sleep with her.

"Yeah," Talia says, "Yeah come here."

Talia lifts her blanket and Lottie climbs under it. The two of them lay face to face and Talia smiles as she looks at Lottie. In turn, a shy smile creeps on Lottie's face and then she gives Talia a full-blown smile.

Talia reaches out and taps her finger against one of Lottie's teeth.

"You have vampire teeth," Talia says with a smile.

"What?" Lottie asks with a giggle.

"Your teeth! They're so sharp!" Talia explains, "Like a vampire."