two.

Talia Turner | 1996
Wiskayok, New Jersey

Talia stared at the notebook open before her. The number 138 stood out on the page, but the space beside it was empty. For some reason that confused Talia. Since getting the notebook she was constantly adding things and yet a week since her last entry, she had nothing to say. It was a first.

"Hey!"

Talia looked up as Lottie took a seat beside her and she quickly closed the notebook, pulling it closer to herself.

"Hi," Talia greets.

"I hear we're dissecting a frog today," Lottie shares as she leans close to Talia.

Talia looks at the board to see a diagram of the frog's body. She hadn't even noticed the equipment that was laid out on their lab table.

"I hear that the honors classes have to dissect a pig," Lottie shares, "I think that's so awful."

Talia shrugs, "I think the pigs are okay with it since they donate their bodies to science and whatnot."

Lottie snorts, "Pigs do not donate their bodies to science."

"Of course they do," Talia says as she leans close to Lottie, "How do you think we got Miss. Piggy?"

This time Lottie laughs and shoves Talia's shoulder, "Oh shut up. Miss Piggy is a puppet!"

"No, she's a former pig who donated her body to science, and boom, now she's a Muppet, not a puppet. Don't disrespect her like that," Talia jokes, and Lottie laughs loudly which makes the reporter smile.

"Whatever," Lottie says as she reaches out and grabs the safety goggles from the table and puts them on. She looks over at Talia with a smile, "How do I look?"

"Ready to slice," Talia responds, as she grabs her own goggles, "So the first game's coming up soon. Nervous?"

"A little," Lottie answers. There's a beat of silence as Lottie reaches out and begins toying with the equipment, her eyes still on Talia, "Will you be there?"

"I kind of have to be," Talia responds, "Can't write an article without witnessing the game."

"Right," Lottie says as she looks at the equipment, "Right."

Talia notices the way Lottie seems to grow sheepish following the comment, "So I was thinking I could do my profile on you today? Maybe after practice?"

Lottie looks up and a smile crosses her lips, "Yeah, yeah that sounds good."

"Cool," Talia responds as the bell rings and their teacher closes the door to the classroom. Talia pulls on her goggles with a snap. She looks over at Lottie who was already watching her and holds a thumb up. Lottie smiles as she returns the gesture.

Their teacher walks through the dissection process before turning them loose to identify the internal anatomy of the frog themselves. Lottie reaches out for the scalpel to cut the frog on the outline of its stomach. Lottie's hand hovers over the frog's stomach before she retracts.

"I can't do it," Lottie says as she hands the scalpel over to Talia.

Talia takes the scalpel, "I've got it."

Lottie offers Talia an encouraging smile, "Alright, fearless leader, you take the lead, and I'll be your trusty assistant. I promise not to faint or scream."

Talia smiles at the comment, "Good to know I can count on you. Okay, let's start by making an incision along the belly."

Talia drags the scalpel over the dotted line on the frog's stomach. Lottie watches as she cuts with no hesitation. Most of the girls in the class were squirming at the sight, but not Talia. She seemed calm as though she'd done this before.