Chapter 18: Knee? What knee? What's a knee? I don't know her.

𝚂𝚘𝚗𝚐: 𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚎𝚝, 𝚃𝚘𝚋𝚢 𝙵𝚘𝚡

𝚃𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚎𝚗𝚓𝚘𝚢!

You all loaded the bus, Tyler carrying Ashlynn inside.

You head towards the first aid box and open it with a click. "Let me see her. You too Aiden." You say as you grab a smaller box of medical supplies, "The rest of you guys should patch up any smaller injuries."

Tyler trades off Ashlynn for the first aid box in your hands. You lay her down as Aiden sits on the other side of her.

You examine her head, finding most of the injury to be at the back. Getting to work, you grab ice, a cloth, and bandages.

Cleaning up blood, you catch a glimpse of Aiden in your peripheral vision. He sat cross crossed, hands in his lap. He had a smile, as always, but that didn't fool you. His eyebrows were lowered.

"You shouldn't sit like that," you advised without looking at him, catching him off guard. "Putting pressure on an injured ankle won't help the end result. Unless you're bleeding out, obviously."

He coughed and fixed his position, ankle free of weight. "Right." He looked away from you and back at Ashlynn, eyes low.

Sighing, you grabbed the bandages, "She'll be okay." He looked at you again, mouth slightly agape. "I can tell she's strong. She'll hang in there, I promise."

Finishing up the wrapping, you grabbed the ice pack. "And it's not your fault." You heard him inhale, wondering if he was that easy to read. "Sometimes you just gotta learn the hard way why your moves here need to be calculated and thought out. We can't always risk doing something spur-of-the-moment." You then moved Ashlynn over and placed her head on top of a folded jacket.

Taking in his pride, he nodded. You finally met his eyes, full of guilt. Your monotone face didn't waver, but you held out your hand. "Ankle."

Forgetting he was also injured, he pipped up and hauled his leg over to you. You carefully took off his shoe, accidentally applying too much pressure, setting off the lights at the toes. Aiden chuckles at the sight.

"Guess you can call me twinkle toes now." He smiled. Something about this one was a little more.. genuine.

You set aside the shoe and started inspecting his ankle. "Guess so." You let your tone be more friendly as your face seemed to lack signs of it.

His ankle was swollen with different colors of red, green, and purple.

"On a scale of 1 to 10, how badly does it hurt?" You questioned.

".. 7." He looked away. Trying to hide the pain that came with your gentle hands on his leg.

"Alright." You replied, being sure not to make a fuss about it. The last thing Aiden probably wanted was to hear how bad it was or how much worse it could've been. "It's probably just sprained. Try not to put too much pressure on it for the next few days."