18

POV: 1st Person

As Ciel and I found a quieter corner of the ballroom, the tension from earlier began to ease. The soft strains of music surrounded us, creating a cocoon of privacy amidst the crowd. I glanced at Ciel, his gaze steady and reassuring, and felt a sense of gratitude wash over me.

"Ciel," I said softly, breaking the comfortable silence that had settled between us. "I've been meaning to ask you something."

He turned to me, his blue eyes attentive. "Of course, (Y/N). What is it?"

I hesitated for a moment, gathering my thoughts before continuing. "Why did you want to find Jack the Ripper?"

Ciel's expression shifted, a shadow passing over his features. "It's... complicated."

I nodded, understanding that it wasn't an easy topic for him to discuss. "I understand if you don't want to talk about it."

"No, it's all right," he said, his voice quiet but determined. "I suppose you have a right to know, considering everything that's happened."

He took a breath, his gaze distant as if lost in memory. "I work for the queen as her watchdog. My duty is to protect the crown and eliminate any threats to the monarchy."

I listened intently, a mixture of surprise and admiration stirring within me. "I had no idea..."

"Not many people do," Ciel admitted, a hint of weariness in his voice. "It's a role that comes with its fair share of secrecy and danger."

"I appreciate you telling me nonetheless," I said with a knowing smile.

«————————//————————»

After a few moments of silence, I excused myself to the powder room. Leaving the main hall, I walked down a long hallway, grateful for the break from the noise. Moonlight streamed in through the windows, casting a soft glow on the darkened corridor. As I paused to admire the moon, I removed my gloves, reveling in the quiet solitude.

Just as I turned to leave, I collided with a man who had suddenly appeared in the hallway. Startled, I stumbled backward, and my gloves slipped from my grasp, falling to the ground with a soft thud. Before I could retrieve them, the man spoke up, introducing himself as Claude, Alois Trancy's butler.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry," Claude said, his voice smooth and composed. "I didn't mean to startle you, Lady (L/N). Please allow me to assist you."

He bent down gracefully, retrieving my gloves from the floor and holding them out to me with a slight bow. Despite the unexpected encounter, I managed a polite smile and accepted the gloves.

"No harm done," I replied, my voice slightly breathless from the collision. "Thank you, Claude."

Claude's eyes flickered with curiosity as he straightened up, his gaze briefly lingering on my face. "It's my pleasure, Lady (Y/N). Are you enjoying the ball?"

I nodded, tucking my gloves securely into the crook of my arm. "Yes, it's quite lovely, although I enjoy my time in solitude out here, away from the noise."

Claude's lips curved into a polite smile, though there was a glint of intrigue in his eyes. "Solitude can indeed be a rare treasure amidst the hustle and bustle of such gatherings."

I returned his smile, though a subtle wariness lingered within me. There was something about Claude's demeanor that felt slightly off, a hidden depth beneath his composed exterior. "Indeed, it provides a moment of rest."

As I adjusted my gloves, a sudden realization struck me. "Oh, I seem to have dropped something else." I glanced around, my heart sinking as I realized the vial of blood I had been carrying was nowhere to be seen.