33. Haircut

In 1974, a young mother is sick and tired of looking at the top of her 11-year-old son, Gary's head, which nappy headed and not comb. Gary has a dream and aspiration of growing an afro, which was trendy back then.

His mother, Jalesa sends him around the corner to Ed's Barbershop. Gary walking to the barbershop thinking about getting a shape-up or a little off.

Gary arrives inside the barbershop taking a seat amongst others waiting his turn.  The shop is busy as usual, the four barbers tending to a customer either receiving trims, shaves, shape-ups or regular haircuts.  There are males of all ages and some ladies talking about anything from sports, politics and other topics along with some also. , Music from the stereo playing funk, soul and jazz artists like Stevie Wonder, Earth, Wind & Fire, Aretha Franklin and other notable acts during that era. The 20ish and most popular barber at the end is Glenn.  Glenn calls for Gary to take a seat in his chair, Gary sits while Glenn is prepping, Gary requests, "I'll have a little off the afro, with a shape up please!" Glenn says, "Okay!" As Glenn proceeds with the haircut.

Gary observes Glenn shearing off all his hair, soon to be nearly bald, with the majority of his once full afro now scattered on the floor.

After Glenn cut off of Gary's hair off, bald-headed Gary complains to Glenn, "Yo man, what's the deal? I told you I wanted my hair cut low and you cut all my hair off. You know how long it is going to take for my hair to grow back."  Glenn tells him, "Hey little brother, I understand you're upset. This haircut was ordered and prepaid by your mom, Miss Jalesa, and she was here earlier. Hey, I was only doing as I was told, take it up with your mom, little brother. Whoever pays the tab is the one I take orders from."  Gary has no option but to come to terms with his haircut. His mood is brightened when a teenage girl compliments him on how handsome he looks with his new style, causing him to blush and smile. Despite this, he still favors the afro look of the Jackson 5 members.

Gary arrives home and mother smiles at his new appearance. Gary tells, "I didn't like that mommy, having that man cut off all my hair.  I wanted my hair to grow into an afro like Uncle Paul and Michael Jackson, not bald like Isaac Hayes and Kojak.  How am I going to get my hair braided, when I don't have no hair on my head mommy!" She is laughing replying, "maybe if you combed and straightened your hair, I would have had allow your hair to grow into an afro like your Uncle Paul and Michael Jackson."  Gary walks away to his bedroom, but before doing so, he stops inside the bathroom looking in the mirror at his reflection, "I hope my hair grows back fast, I'm going to get teased a lot at school for this."  After a while, Gary gets adjusted to hair being cut low.

When Gary arrived at school sporting his new haircut, a few of his schoolmates, those he is associated with, commented on it; he received some admiration, a bit of teasing, and most of the others don't care.

THE END