☠︎︎ 26. His Heart ☠︎︎

— in his arms, my home will always be

everything can heal as long as he is with me

I was beaten, I was broken

but he holds me and kisses me tender —

Chay trembled in Kim's arms, his eyes turning wide as he slowly turned around and watched as the ship that meant so much to Kim was being swallowed by flames and turned into ashes. The Reckoning was dead. All the people on the Reckoning were most likely dead as well. All of them. Kim had killed so many people for Chay. He had ruined one of the things that meant the most to him for Chay...

Chay felt like there was a lump in his throat so big that it was too hard to swallow. Tears were filling up his eyes. He didn't know what to do. All he wanted was to curl up close to Kim and forget that all of this was happening. Kim did so much for him...

"You don't have to watch it, darlin'. Come here," Kim gently turned Chay in his arms back to him, placing one hand on Chay's nape and kissing his forehead. "I love you. You don't have to worry about anything anymore. I'll take care of you... I'll take care of everything."

"But... your ship—"

"Chay, look at me," Kim cupped Chay's cheeks, "it was you or the ship. I can always replace the vessel, but I can never replace you."

"I... I'm sorry that you had to choose," Chay whispered.

"I'm not..." Kim said immediately. "I'll never regret doing anything that can save you."

"Captain! This one has survived," one of the pirates gets out of the water, dragging with himself one of the pirates from Vegas' crew. Half of his clothes were burned off, and his skin was peeling off in some places, but he was still alive, and the moment Chay could see his face, he froze in Kim's arms.

No. Out of all the people, why was it him? Why it was he who survived. Chay started shaking his head. He turned back to Kim, "I... I don't want him anywhere near me! Not him..."

"Take him on the Scorpion and wait there for my orders!" Kim ordered his crew and watched with violent anger inside of him as they dragged Macau away. Only once they were all gone, Kim asked, "what did Macau do to you, Chay? It doesn't matter what it is—I'll kill him anyway. But I want to know. It kills me not to know what happened to you."

"You will kill him?" Chay asked just to be sure. He didn't even know why he needed Kim's confirmation. Seeing the whole ship blow up was already more than enough.