☠︎︎ 23. Drown in Misery ☠︎︎

— when the waves pull us apart

there won't be a day, there won't be a night

when I won't look for you

when I won't shed a tear or two —

"This is not good," Chay started shaking his head. The water was so cold that it paralyzed him for a moment. They were in the middle of nowhere. He couldn't see any vessel anywhere around. But maybe... maybe he just wasn't looking carefully. Maybe something was coming towards them from the horizon.

"Darlin'," Chay felt Kim's arms around him, pulling him closer to Kim. "You have to calm down your breath. Worrying won't help us now."

"Easy to say to you. I suppose this isn't your first time being stranded at the sea," Chay said nervously, his fingers clutching Kim's clothes tightly.

"Fourth... well, fifth.. if I count that time, I drunkenly walked on the plank and fell into the water, and it took everyone else on the ship almost ten minutes before they noticed. So, I watched them sail away from me and then sailing back to me while I was floating in the middle of nowhere," Kim said, his lips gently brushing over Chay's temple.

"Not sure if you are saying this because it's true or because you just want to distract me from the shitty situation we are in," Chay replies, his teeth chattering from the cold.

"Of course, it's true! You can ask our crew once we actually get back to them."

"If we get back to them," Chay sighed.

"We will!" Kim looked right at Chay, "I think that we should do it exactly how your grandmother told us. You have the Ruby Red, right?"

Chay's heart sank. What if he didn't have it on him again? What if it got lost? But then he quickly patted every inch of his body and he felt it. It was in his pocket. He reached into his pocket and brought the Ruby Red from under the water.

"Here."

"Great," Kim put his hands around Chay's hand, which was holding the Ruby Red, and said, looking right into Chay's eyes, "think about The Reckoning. Imagine the deck. Imagine where we were before we got pulled into your timeline. Can you do that?"

"Y-yeah," Chay breathed out, his body was slowly getting used to the cold. It almost felt warm now. Almost felt like they would be alright.

"Then close your eyes, darlin'. Let's think about it together."

Chay took a deep breath, and before closing his eyes, he whispered, "I love you, captain."

"More than all the treasures of the world, darlin'."

The last thing Chay knew when he closed his eyes was that Kim loved him, and soon it would be the only thing that would keep him going...

⋆༺𓆩☠︎︎𓆪༻⋆