☠︎︎ 5. The Making of a Pirate ☠︎︎

- gone gone his mother was

the little boy didn't cry at her loss

destiny awaited him at the shore

the pirates and something more -

- the year of our lord 1700 -

Kim held his mother's rosary in his hands so tightly that the slightly sharp edges of a cross cut deep into his skin, making it bleed. It was the first time in his twelve years of life when he didn't feel pain while bleeding. Instead, he felt rage. They took her. They took her right in front of his eyes. They didn't see him. No, they didn't. But they took her. Hit her and pulled her hair. But she was brave. She didn't scream. Didn't make a sound. It was just her eyes that were screaming at him to stay put. To for the love of god, don't let them know that he was there as well. She wanted to protect him. Protect the only son she had. The only family she had left. And now? Now she was gone and Kim was there small and cold, even after the night enveloped the house, hidden under the bed, his eyes unable to leave the spot where he saw his mother standing for the last time before they ripped her out of his life.

But they didn't kill her. No, they didn't. Kim knew the likes of them. The privateers, who, in the name of the king, were attacking and taking ships of others just like pirates. But no, they weren't the same because privateers were allowed. But were they allowed to also enter the houses of common folk and ransack it, take everything they deemed interesting, take even humans, parents, children? They were worse than pirates. Pirates kept their business on the sea. The pirates didn't come and took his mother. It wasn't being a pirate that killed his father; it was being a privateer.

Kim heard about people being taken from their homes to become slaves for privateers, being forced to work for them until they were so weak that one wrong step would send them over the board and down into the deepest chambers of the ocean. He even saw it happening a couple of times. Saw the privateers, taking someone from the house down on the street or one just behind the corner. Watched the person yell and beg as he stood behind his mother, tiny fingers clutching on her skirt, praying that that would never happen to them. And now, five years later, it did.

"Pirates! Pirates on the shore!"

Kim flinched, hearing the screams on the streets.

"Pirates," he whispered under his breath, and after all those hours lying under a dusty bed, surrounded by spiders and their cobwebs, he finally pulled himself out.

"Fire!"

Kim turned to the door. Something was happening outside. A chaos. Something that would give him the opportunity to get lost from this place. Something that would start his journey of getting his mother back.