Omake (守りたい): Always

Mamori Tai (守りたい)
meaning: "I'll always protect you."

A heartfelt sentiment used when expressing your feelings to a loved one; whether it be a family member, close friend or romantic partner.

This place was quite minimal and vacant; nothing but a few people passing through now and again

This place was quite minimal and vacant; nothing but a few people passing through now and again. There's a bench somewhere in this quiet park. One that you've been sitting on for the last half an hour. Toji is out of town for work and you currently wait for Megumi to finish his errands with Tsumiki.

You run a finger against the trinket that adorns your hand. The precious stone glints elegantly.

The man's always been agile. His nimbleness makes him go by unnoticed, almost always. If you hadn't known him for as long as you did, you'd likely would have never noticed how he suddenly appeared next to you. He likely saw you while passing by himself.

"Hey."

"Hi..."

It's been at least a year or more since you last saw Gojo Satoru and his sudden appearance doesn't seem to alarm or concern you either. If anything, there was a part of you that wished to see him again. Even if just for a brief moment.

"Long time no see."

"Satoru...." His presence earns him the warmest smile from you but you don't turn to look at him. Your eyes are still in front of you, just as his are still in front of him, "How have you been?"

"I've seen better days." His honesty and directness surprises you. Normally he would have kept his feelings to himself, "But lately, much better."

"I'm glad." You watch the shadows from the trees dance against the cement and grass with an unwavering gaze.

"Married now?" His eyes glance at the ring sitting on your finger. Gojo may have felt a twinge of sadness in his chest at the sight of it. The ring you wear is not the ring he once bought you.

"Engaged." Your mind briefly thinks about how Toji asked you to be his indefinitely. The man had lined rose petals from the front door, up the stairs, across the second floor and all the way to the washing machine, with a note that asked if you were willing to do his laundry for the rest of his life. It makes your mind laugh silently at his dumb humor.

You finally turn to look at Gojo and his gaze is somewhere in front of him again.

The idea of engagement makes him think back to a time where he may have regretted waiting too long but he tries not to dwell on these types of things anymore.

"Congratulations." Is all he says but the man doesn't seem enthused.

You wanted to thank him but there's a certain look that he wears that only you would be able to decipher. You apologize instead. Even if you already had (many times) and even if all this time had passed, "Satoru, I'm sorry...."

"There's nothing to be sorry for." He shakes his head, "Not anymore at least."

When you truly care about someone, when you truly love someone for who they are. Their mistakes could never change the way you genuinely feel about them. Because it is the mind that gets upset. But the heart, the heart still cares. And his heart will always care.

Gojo may have attempted dating once or twice since the two of you went your separate ways but he was quickly reminded of the reasons why he avoided most people who wanted him romantically: looks, money, status; all things materialistic and superficial. He hated it. All of it. And oh, how beautiful it is to actually find someone who asks for nothing but your company. Something he was complete shit at when the two of you were still together and something he heavily regrets (despite not having a choice on most occasions).

"I'm still sorry anyway...." You say and you look the other way. There's heat at your ears and heat prickling behind your eyes. You blink back the sadness before your attention goes back to him whose gaze finally meets yours.

"Do you still have it?" He asks without elaboration.

But you already knew what he was asking about. Your hand digs into your shirt at the chest and you pull out a necklace that had been hiding underneath the fabric this entire time. This chain around your neck holds a very symbolic accessory. One that makes the man tense with emotion.

Gojo continues to stare at the engagement ring. The one from him, "That old geezer is willing to let you wear that?"

"He honestly doesn't care." You put it back into your shirt.

It's not that Toji didn't care. It's actually, he doesn't mind. Because he has enough maturity now and clarity to understand the history behind two people. It went beyond just an 11 year relationship. Osananajimi, a childhood friend with an intimate understanding. Also, he felt his ring was better anyway (haha).

"I haven't taken it off since...." You say and your hand goes back down to the bench. Your fingers might have grazed his accidentally. You pull them away awkwardly. Your eyes go somewhere off at a distance again.

Gojo looked down to his hand when he felt your skin against his. His eyes trickle back up to the front of him, "Is it wrong to say, I've missed you?"

You take a moment and you're still looking somewhere beyond the trees, "You won't be the only one that's wrong if that's the case."

A moment of silence ensues. The two of you continue to sit in each other's missed company. Eventually, you couldn't bear it anymore. You turn your attention back to him and he does the same.

"Please hug me." It almost sounded like a beg.

It wasn't something your voice needed to repeat. In seconds, his arms extend to you and you're now in his embrace. You nestle against his chest and he rests the side of his face against your head. You feel the warmth and safety of his arms around you as the sun begins to set.

It's that time of the day where komorebi is most pronounced (or during early morning). The rays of sunlight filter gently through the leaves of nearby trees. Shadows are casted across the grounds and this natural phenomenon offers a kind of serenity that can't be matched. It's a certain calmness that reminds you of the fleeting, beautiful moments in life and to enjoy these moments while they last. The dancing shadows is a reminder of how change is constant. And the sun seeping through is that glimmer of light, even in the most darkest of times. That is komorebi.

"No matter what." He will never forget that promise he made to you as children. Gojo Satoru's voice is nothing but a whisper against your hair, "I'll always protect you...."

"....so you can tell Toji, he can kiss my ass."