Chapter 34

Two hounds walk along side each other. Their noses crinkle over the gravel as the they continue to snuff the ground. Megumi follows his dogs closely and down a dark alley way. It's just another day as an apprentice hitman, but it's not just another mission.

The canines continue their hunt and their snouts hover to and fro as they try to pick up the scent that the raven-haired kid had shown them earlier in the form of a red jacket. The boy whistles and it calls the hounds back to him. Their tails wag eagerly as they make way back to their master. Megumi brings the clothing item down towards them once more and they both smell inquiringly before they set off on their search again.

These two pups have grown increasingly larger since he first adopted them. One, a beautiful ivory and the other, dark as night and their silky coats seem to shimmer even in this poorly lit back alley. A hound stops and it's tail stands straight. It barks at Megumi and it signals a clue. The three trot further down this seemingly abandoned passageway.

Behind a brick wall is where the canines stop. They bare their teeth and they growl aggressively at the person who awaits them patiently. Megumi finally turns the corner. The raven-haired teen stops, he looks at the guy and then he straightens his back.

"Fushiguro." The person greets Megumi how he's always done so in the past.

"Itadori." Megumi says and then he throws Yuji the red jacket, "You forgot this."

Something the teen probably left at his friends house many moons ago. The pink-haired boy catches it and he throws it on. He then thanks the guy and brings his hands up to crack his knuckles.

"Come on, Fushiguro." Yuji smiles, "You know the rules."

Megumi shoves his hands into his pockets and he doesn't say anything. His expression is blank as it always is, "I'm aware of the rules."

"You've always been smarter than me." Yuji begins again, "But if it's one thing that I've ever beat you at.....it's this."

And the pink-haired boy is right. Although he lacks academic motivation, Yuji had always excelled in physical education compared to Megumi. The dogs don't like the boys threat. They edge closer to their target but the raven-haired kid stops them.

Megumi puts a hand up. It's his way of telling them to halt, "No. He's mine."

They whimper but they do as they're told. They sit on their hind legs and they wait patiently for orders.

"People can really die. We can really die. And I don't know how I'll feel when I'm dead, but I don't want to to regret the way I lived. So, at least, I want the people I know to have a proper death."

"How insightful." Megumi takes his hands out of his pockets, "I'm sorry about your grandfather, Itadori."

"Don't be." The pink-haired boy throws his fists into the air as he takes a battle stance, "It's no ones fault."

"It's funny how things turn out." The raven-haired kid says, "Don't you agree?"

If anyone had asked Megumi where he saw himself in a few years he definitely would not have expected to be in an apprenticeship under the supervision of House Zenin. He always assumed he'd be an engineer or maybe even doing some type of scientific research for a prestigious company. Yuji, on the other hand, didn't even think about his future. The pink-haired boy was too distracted from busying himself with clubs that didn't require any work such as the Occult Club (which dabbled in paranormal activity) at his high school.

"Yeah." Yuji's voice grows serious, "Agreed..."

"Well then—" Megumi shifts into an offensive pose. His arm reaches outward and his hand beckons Yuji to come to him, "—show me what a proper death is."