Chapter 19

"Dad's back tonight." Oscar said out of nowhere.

"Mhm." I nodded as I continued to eat my food, twirling my unoccupied fork around on an empty area of my plate.

"He said he wants to talk to you." He continued.

"Cool." I continued to mindlessly nod. If someone happened to walk into the room, they would think I was fighting sleep right now. I'm not, I woke up at 9... to the smell of pancakes and totally not yelling of excitement from Peyton.

"When did you make those brownies, Eli?" Peyton asked.

"I... didn't...?" Elijah said, sounding unsure about what Peyton is talking about.

"So who did?" Peyton asked. No one answered so Peyton continued, "Well then looks like they're up for-"

"I will put you in the oven, did you not see my note?" I asked, side-eyeing him. "Oh wait, I forgot, you can't read."

"Kayla-" I cut Alexander off.

"Would you like a brownie, Kayden?" I asked, turning my gaze to Kayden and smiling sweetly at him.

"N...no?" He sounded somewhat scared and confused.

"Okay, well, grab one anytime you like." I smiled sweetly at him before turning my attention back to Peyton. Through grit teeth I reminded him, "End you."

"What made you make brownies, Kayla?" Nichole asked.

"Just feeling peckish I guess." I shrugged.

"W-what? Why is your tone different with them? What did I do!" He's being a little dramatic, don't you think?

"Don't test me. I will rip out your stomach and take my brownie back. I saw it on Rick and Morty, but it was cereal, not brownies. But don't test me."

"Ohh, it's for when everyone comes over, right? That's nice of you." Liam asked but answered his own question with this little illusion of his.

"No, they can starve. No one touches my brownies but me." I saw Kayden open his mouth out of the corner of my eye, "You're pretty much me, you don't count."

I finished my breakfast and stood up, "I'm gonna go now." I turned back to Peyton, "Not a crumb, Peyton West. Not a crumb."

I stood in the doorway, cleared my throat and looked back to the others, "But if you want one, you have to pay." I shrugged my shoulders and was about to turn away when I heard protests.

"We live here!"

"You can't make us pay for food in the communal space!"

"That's unfair, Kayla."

"I don't care. Pay for my hard work or suffer in silence." I said with my back towards them, not fully sure if they could hear me or not. "Price starts at... one million dollars. If you're poor, just get money."

I made my way to the room - I still refuse to call it my bedroom - and immediately kicked the door shut behind me as I entered. I slid towards the bed and duck down, having to push myself slightly under the bed as my arm couldn't reach all the way under.

Retrieving the envelope, I scrambled onto the bed and slowly slid my thumb under the... sticky bit... seal... whatever, not like I care.

I took a deep breath before pouring the contents onto the messy, dark sheets. I slid my hand over the contents, spreading them out from each other so they wouldn't overlap, but were still somewhat touching.

My eyes darted across until I found what I was originally looking for. The

things that will explain everything when the time comes.