History doesn't repeat itself (Pt 2)

Pov: Cub

Season 7

It's a normal day on Hermitcraft, happily leaving Decked Out after a couple successful runs. Scar mentioned something about looking out for resistance attack. The last time I tried that I ended up being killed by zombies after Impulse tricked me. I keep an eye on chat, but nothing else. Besides, if nothing happens, maybe Scar's growing paranoia will be abated somewhat. Nothing's going to happen in the 20 minutes I'm busy, right?

Wrong.

The smell is the first thing that hits me as I approach the town hall. The odor of wet soil and rot is instantly recognizable. Mycelium. I jog quicker, reaching the building. I freeze. The diamond throne's gone. In its place is a pile of mycelium, a shapeless mound of sludge trying its hardest to replicate the server's, Scar's, diamonds. They're gone. And all while I was supposed to be on duty. Before I can even get over the disgust, another another thought hit me.

I just broke Scar's trust.

I should've stopped this, but I just kept silently denying what Scar said and neglecting the responsibilities he entrusted me with. Until the resistance broke into the town hall itself, stole Scar's diamonds, and left this in its place as a joke. Even if I remove this pile, there'll still be the fact that the diamonds are gone. Either way, Scar will know something happened. And the trust he's clearly had in me to be a good friend and keep watch will be broke.

I can't be here when finds this.

So, guilt filling me, I fly away.

A few days pass hiding from my guilt. I distract myself by spending time mining ancient debris in the nether. A couple shulkers of TNT gains me enough to make some progress on my Hall of Ancients, and enough time alone to stop worrying about what Scar will think. He's my best friend. He's reasonable. Surely he won't hate me for one mistake like this. With a smile, I pack everything into my ender chest before flying back through the nether to my portal, through to my pyramid and-

'We need to talk.'

Scar.

Standing, arms crossed, outside my portal waiting for me. His expression is cold, blue eyes colder. I try to smile.

'Hey, Scar. What's going on?'

'You know what's going on.' He steps closer. 'And you know what you did.'

So he's not over it. I debate lying, but even when he's this upset, I can't. Not with Scar.

'I'm sorry, Scar. Nothing was happening, so I did 1 Decked Out run.' Then 2 more runs because I failed the first. Then another. And when I stopped being distracted, it was an hour later and I'd let the Mycelium Resistance take your diamonds.

'And then you didn't tell me. You just ran away, pretending everything was alright...'

'Scar, we can get back the diamonds. I said I was sorry.' He laughs, the sound hollow, full of hurt. Guilt flood back. 'I'm sorry, Scar. Really sorry. I shouldn't have done it.'

For a moment, Scar doesn't reply, as though he's debating my apology. I just stay where I am.

'Scar, please.'

'You betrayed me, Cub. You broke my trust.'

'I know, and I'm sorry.'

'I- I thought you cared about me, Cub...'

'Of course, I care about you, Scar! I just made one stupid mistake, and I'm willing to get back the diamonds for you... Scar, are you doing ok?' I move closer to him. His eyes remain blue. He's incredibly stressed. Or the Vex are messing with him.

'Is that what you think?' He steps further away. 'That I'm struggling to be mayor?'

'What, no! Of course I'm not!' Why's he getting this upset? This isn't normal for him. The Vex must be doing something.

'After all I've done for Hermitcraft... all I've done to protect the shopping district from the foul mycelium menace. You, my best friend, who I thought would always be here for me, and supporting me... doesn't believe I'm a good mayor?'

'Scar... I would never say or think anything like that. I'm just worried, man. You've been acting off lately. Overreacting. Is it the Vex? Because I'm here if you want to talk about it. I'm right here, Scar.'

'Overreacting? So you don't think the mycelium's a threat?'

'I never said that, Scar!' I feel the Vex's magic rising, trying to push it down and stay calm. 'Why aren't you listening to me? What happened? What are they telling you? Whatever it is, ignore them, Scar.'

I put my hands on his shoulders, trying to look into his eyes. 'You don't have to listen to the Vex.'

'Just FUCK OFF!' Scar shoves me, a flare of vex fire at his hands, wings spread behind for just a moment. I hit the ground, watching as he starts pacing, eyes shining with tears of madness. 'If you don't care about the mycelium, go and join them.' 'Scar, please. I'm begging you. As your best friend, believe me. Ignore. The. Vex.' 'Go on! Find their hidden base, start spreading mycelium with them and continue to not care about me!'

'Scar, listen to me! Of course I care about you!' He turns, starting to walk away. I scramble to my feet, sprinting after. 'Scar, please! This isn't you. You're not thinking straight, it's the Vex. They're controlling you.' I grab his arm, my words a rush of panic. 'Please, seriously Scar, I'm worried about you.' He doesn't reply, glaring at me. 'Please...'

'No.'

He fazes free of my grip and flies away.

There will be 2 more parts coming

:)